Are Braces an Option for Severe Overbite?

I am 46. I am missing my molars right/left back, as well as bottom molar on the right. I have a severe overbite and I'm wondering at this point if braces are even an option.

My dentist seems to be set on removing my teeth and giving me that implant procedure that gives teeth to the entire mouth. I have most of my teeth and don't want this done. I am desperate and afraid.

I don't want to lose my teeth just because they are crooked. I feel like he is going to expensive route!

Doctor Answers 3

Dentofacial Orthopedics plus Braces probably can correct your problem.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a complex problem that may not be solvable with braces alone.  That is where bone changing orthodontics (Dentofacial Orthopedics) may come in handy.  Not all orthodontists are comfortable with this approach.  Seek out one that is.  The jaw joints (TMJ's) should be evaluated and a comprehensive approach should be used to correct your problem.  I am sure a viable solution that you are happy with can be achieved.  Do protect your remaining teeth and avoid extra unnecessary implants if you can. 

Braces can fix many bite relationship issues

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the photo, it appears that the overbite is not that problematic, but there may be a cross-bite issue. This is when one arch overlaps the other in a way different than normal. Often this is developmental and has a TMJ component to address.

It may be possible to expand arches and use braces to get things to line up, but without back molar teeth, it may be a challenge. Some orthodontists are using temporary implants to get the leverage they need, and that may be necessary for you.

I would suggest a consultation with at least one orthodontist. As you consult, remember that in GENERAL, an orthodontist sees solutions by moving teeth, an oral surgeon sees solutions by removing teeth, etc. Meaning simply that whatever the main focus of a practitioner is, that tends to be their advice. It is possible your dentist simply sees a solution he is more familiar with and that there are still options.

Or not. :)

Please see an orthodontist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would highly recommend seeing an orthodontist regarding your crowding and bite. The orthodontist will be able to tell you if you are a candidate for braces depending on your dental health. Since you do have a few missing teeth, it would be a good idea to have the orthodontic consult before you go ahead with getting the implants. The orthodontist can evaluate your bite and the crowding and see if some of the space from the removed teeth can be used to relieve the crowding. Implants are stationary and once in place they can not be moved orthodontically. It is also important to make sure that your teeth and gums are healthy before putting on braces and that is something that your orthodontist can advise you on or send you to a specialist to evaluate. You can look on the American Association of Orthodontists website to find a local orthodontist.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.