Will Braces or Jaw Surgery Fix My Overbite?

I have a slight overbite and a receding chin. Will braces be able to help fix my overbite and receding chin? Or should I consider surgery to move my lower jaw forward?

Doctor Answers 1

Overbite and receeding chin

chances are your overbite is caused by a small lower jaw and no orthodontic treatment has been shown to consistently "grow" lower jaws (of course if you are an adult you will get no changes at all).  Orthodontics might be able to fix your overbite and sometimes a chin implant can fix your profile...other times surgical lengthening of the lower jaw is necessary to get the teeth in the correct position and to correct the profile

Saint Louis Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.