Where to Go to Switch from Braces to Invisalign?

I have braces and it's annoying but I want to change to Invisalign. Do I ask my orthodontist if they provide Invisalign or do I go somewhere else?

Doctor Answers 3

Consult with your current Orthodontist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It would be a good idea to consult with your current Orthodontist and let him/her know all of your concerns. Orthodontics can be uncomfortable at times, keep in mind the discomfort and annoyance is temporary. From a financial standpoint, you will need to consider additional costs if you switch from braces to Invisalign especially if you go to a new dental office and have to start over as a new patient. In my experience some patients can be a good candidate for "combo case" which means part of the treatment time in braces and part of the time in Invisalign. Maybe a treatment plan similar may work for you.

Talk with your orthodontist about switching from braces to Invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I would talk with your orthodontist about your concerns with the braces and the option of switching to Invisalign. Invisalign is a great treatment option, but there are limitations to what it can accomplish, and for that reason, sometimes braces are better. I would also ask your orthodontist their level of experience treating cases with Invisalign. Some orthodontists feel more comfortable with invisalign than others and can give you realistic expectations of your outcome with Invisalign versus traditional braces.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Most orthodontists offer Braces to Invisalign service

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Normally it is better to stay "in house", so I would ask your orthodontist for advice.  However, he may have suggested brackets due to the complexity of your case and feels there is no better option.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.