How much time to take off for a breast augmentation if I'm a hair stylist?

I can take 11 days off, is that enough time before going back to work? I can return back at half time 18 hrs a week that first week and then to 35 hrs week after. Is that realistic?

Time off

thanks for your question. With our Rapid Recovery Breast augmentation, we can have you back to work in a day or two. We actually encourage you to go back to work within a day or two, as the movement keeps the muscles from going into spasm. 

Best. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How much time off after breast augmentation?

I learned early in my practice career that hair stylists spend their entire work day with their arms elevated and in motion. With sub-muscular augmentation there's always a variable degree of muscle soreness, which can be made worse with over-use immediately after surgery. I usually recommend two weeks off completely after surgery, with a gradual increase in hours worked per day thereafter. This is just a general guideline that I've used over the years. As with any surgery, some patients bounce back more quickly than others. This is one of those important questions to review with your plastic surgeon before your procedure. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

As a hair stylist, I would suggest that you plan on taking off one week. The second week, I would suggest a light schedule as you fully recover. Good luck!

After breast augmentation: When can a hairstylist return to work?

I advise my hairstylists that in general they can return to work around the 14th day after surgery, if they are comfortable enough. They tell me they are a little sore but manage with anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen – if tolerated and  if necessary. They are fully good to go by the 21st day. Is a good idea to check with your surgeon's protocol as it might be different. Good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Time off work after BBA

Hello, most of my patients who have a job that does not involve heavy lifting go back to work after about a week.  However, they still need to be careful to avoid straining, lifting more than a few pounds, or injuring the chest area for about 6 weeks postop.  Your surgeon will be the best source of advice because they will assess your healing postop.

You don't want any strenuous activity for ~4 weeks. No big movements with the arms for ~2 weeks. This is mainly if you raise your arms over your head or behind your back. You may have to stand on something to make yourself taller when drying or coloring hair as again movements above your chest level are not advised early in healing. 

Breast augmentation recovery

It is best to take 1-2 weeks off after surgery since you may have soreness when moving your arms.  Since you have the ability to come back part time, I would exercise that option.  You may be sore after the first few days back to work.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon as well.

Camille Cash, MD

Time off after surgery

Thank you for your question. I usually tell my patients that it is best to decrease activity one to two weeks after surgery as a hairstylist, I would recommend returning back to work after one week if you feel as though you have regained full arm mobility. 

Down time required as a hair stylist

Thank you for your question!

With regards to recovery, please know that it is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best.

With regards to your question about the recovery time, please know that every person recovers at their own pace, but normally patients are able to get back to a “desk job” within 5-7 days following surgery.

After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training. You should lift anything more than 10 pounds for at least 2 weeks.

Increasing the activity level is dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts or incisions, then stop the activity. As a hair stylist, you may be required to make a lot of hand movements, or brush away hair from the floor - whatever the case, you should take it slow, and if you feel that your activity is not causing any pressure or tension in the breasts, then there should be no problem.

Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles for lifting heavy weights. Holding scissors in the hand should not be a problem.

Any exercises that require pectoralis major contraction or physical pressure in the upper-body as experienced during push-up demonstrations, running, high impact aerobics, and weight lifting should be avoided until after 6 weeks following your surgery. This is especially true if your implants will be placed behind the pec major muscle.

You will feel better with each passing day. By the time you are one week post-op, you should feel much better. You will still be sore, but you will be feeling more like yourself.

As a hair stylist, you should be okay to return after 11 days.

As always, please discuss recommendations for recovery with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Their advice should take precedence as they will be better informed about your case.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Time off needed from Breast Augmentation for a Hair Stylist

There is no hard fast rule for how much time a patient will need off after a Breast Augmentation as this varies from patient to patient.  I usually recommend 7 days away from work.  Your job involves using your arms a lot and I think you are being realistic taking 11 days off and then return on a reduced schedule.  Best of luck with your surgery.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon