I have 'man boobs'. Would this be able to help remove the stubborn fat there? I workout a lot and the rest of my body is fit.

About Gynecomastia and How to Treat It

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

The most common and reliable method to correct gynecomastia, is surgery.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Pictures would be very helpful.  However, if you are very fit, it is unlikely that fat is the primary contributor.  Exogenous substances such as steroids and marijuana contribute in some cases.  However, in most cases, surgery with glandular excision is going to be needed for subareolar glandular tissue; liposuction, alone does not usually address the glandular component adequately. 

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Gynecomastia - Vaser Liposuction VS Gland Excision

That's a great question! It is difficult to judge if you are a candidate for gynecomastia without either a picture or physical examination. Keep in mind that marijuana & steroid use can contribute to gynecomastia.

If your gynecomastia condition is primarily due to fat then Vaser liposuction alone may be a very good option. However, in my experience the vast majority of patients have a glandular and fatty composition that is best treated with BOTH liposuction and direct excision. I believe most plastic surgeons do this because they want satisfied patients and not because they are credit card machines.
However, if you are unwilling to undergo both procedures, you can certainly start with the Vaser lipo and if dissatisfied with the results, you can always come back for a glandular resection at a later date.

There is a video attached that will help better understand gynecomastia. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the question and certainly surgery will help remove your "man boobs" or gynecomastia.  So see some experts in the field and be evaluated to see if that is the best treatment for you.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD