Breast augmentation while nursing?

If I am still lactating and nursing, can a breast augmentation surgery still be performed on me? Or would the doctor recommend I wait that I am no longer nursing and refuse surgery? - Daniella

Finish breast feeding BEFORE an augmentation.

It is recommended not to have a breast augmentation while you are lactating. Wait until you have stopped breast feeding and your breast size and shape have stabilized. This can take 3 to 6 months or more. Once everything has settled, then see a plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Breast Augmentation after Nursing

Generally plastic surgeons suggest patients wait a few months (at least 3) after you stop nursing before having a breast augmentation.  This is because your breast will undergo changes (involution) due to hormonal changes once you stop nursing.  Typically, your breasts will become smaller and perhaps looser.  Only then can you and the surgeon make an accurate estimate of the size and shape of the implant that will give you the best result that you hope for.  So let your breasts stabilize their size and shape before deciding on just what implant to receive.  But keep in mind the enlarged size your were during nursing, so you can use that as a comparison if you are thinking of being enlarged to that degree.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Breast Augmentation while breast feeding

Highly recommend you wait until done with breast feeding.  Once you are done consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. There are many tools that are available to a surgeon, which can guide you on the size of the implants that will help you obtain the look and size you desire.

Breast augmentation after breast feeding

While you should wait until after you finish breast feeding, it may help your surgeon better understand what size you hope to be and what size bra you are using while breast feeding.  Thus your initial consultation can start the discussion. Then after you have finished breast feeding and stabilized your weight and your breast have settled, possibly, your surgeon can help you decide the proper size implant and profile.  He or she will also advise if there is or is not a need for a lift.  I believe that most plastic surgeons would not charge any additional consultation fee for a second, or possibly a third,  if necessary to plan for a successful surgery to help you.  Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Breast augmentation while nursing

Thank you for your question. I recommend to wait till nursing completed and breast to come to base line. Otherwise it is difficult to assess and pick right implant per measurements.

Breast augmentation while nursing?

Thank you for your question. You should wait until youre dont lactating and have returned to your stable condition. When you´re breast feeding your breasts change size and makes it harder to do a good assessment and choose the right size of implants and predict a good result. Breast augmentation is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of breasts types. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Post Breast Feeding

Thank you for your question. Most Plastic Surgeons will require that you allow the breasts to return to a stable post-breast feeding state. It would be difficult to plan/measure and predict outcome otherwise.
All the best

Breastfeeding and Breast Augmentation

You should definitely wait until you are 3 months after breast feeding before considering a breast augmentation.  Breast feeding enlarges the breast and after stopping there are usually changes including potential volume loss and sagging.  Therefore, any evaluation while breast feeding is likely to give you a result that is less than optimal.  It is below the standard of care to do a breast augmentation in a woman who is nursing.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation while nursing

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation should be put off until after you have stopped breast feeding. Typically a 6 month wait is preferred. Breast feeding changes the shape and size of the breasts. It is best to let the breasts "settle" after breast feeding to determine the size that is most appropriate and also whether or not a lift procedure may be necessary. If you find a surgeon who will place implants in a nursing woman, know that this is NOT the standard of care. Good Luck,

Breast augmentation while nursing

a breast augmentation should not be done while you are nursing. The milk ducts are filled and can easily get infected which will cause an infection in the implants, size is altered due to the breast being filled with milk, so it is not possible to reliably choose a size, and the skin envelope changes. Wait 6 mos or until the breast stops lactating.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon