Is it absolutely necessary to have to remove the implants and wait for months before the new ones can go in?

I had breast augmentation twice within a four months. Both times they capsized capitalization on both breast both times I'm 62 old he also did a Breast lift both times the second time he put in for 450cc. Now the same doctor wants to remove the implants wait for four months and put in new implants . The whole procedure again is it absolutely necessary to have to remove the implants and wait for months before the new ones can go in.

Capsular contracture

If you suffered from capsular contracture, usually the capsule can be removed and the implants replaced at the same time.  Only in the setting of infection are implants usually removed for a prolonged period to allow for the tissue swelling/edema and infection to completely resolve.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Not sure

without photos, it is difficult to make recommendations. The history of two surgeries with lifts, and now suggesting removing implants is concerning. I believe another opinion with a surgeon well experienced in revision all breast surely is warranted. A change in implant location is a possible option instead of removal.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Redo breasts augmentation

Dear LouLou,   Front and side view pictures would have been very helpful.    It is quite confusing from your description, what procedure exactly you had done when you developed the capsule contracture. If you do not have flagrant infection of the implants - redness, swelling, pus, fever etc, than the definitive procedure can be done simultaneously with the implants replacement and there is no need for a delay.   Since you have recurrent capsule contracture, the appropriate procedure, in my practice,  is total or sub total capsulectomy and replacement of the implants due to 'Biofilm' . Without such a comprehensive approach, it is very likely that the capsule contracture will recur. If your implants are sub glandular currently, I would recommend to place them under the muscle, which statistically has less capsule contracture in addition to other advantages.   From your breasts augmentation history and the surgical plan given to you by your surgeon, it sounds like  the surgeon does not have much experience with complex redo breasts augmentation. Your best interest will be served much better by consulting with other experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of redo breasts augmentation in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'Realself' for ratings and positive experience reports.                  Best of luck,                                     Dr Widder   

History of capsular contracture and had lift, revisions and still need surgery

Thanks for the question.  It is clear that your condition is not simple and a full examination with experienced advice is necessary.  Downsizing implants, changing the breast pockets and possibly even using ADM material could be necessary.  Be sure to consult an experienced board certified Plastic Surgeon( your current surgeon may certainly be the physician of choice and the advice may be appropriate).
Good luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

The short answer to your question is no, but I agree with the other surgeons on this page, in that you need to be seen. Perhaps a second opinion by a surgeon with more years experience.

Breast augmentation revision surgery

Dear Littleloulou16,
Your situation is far too complex to accurately comment on in this forum.  A full history and physical examination would be required.  I recommend consulting with one or two other American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeons in your area for additional advice and other possible options.  If they jump to criticism be aware that they are competitors to your surgeon.  Try to look past any critique to a final satisfactory goal.  Good luck!

Not always

Downsizing with capsulectomy at the same time may be appropriate. Important to consult with revision specialists in your area.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Without photos and the benefit of physical exam- it's impossible to comment accurately. If you seeking second opinion- make sure that the Surgeons you're consulting with are Board Certified, and have an extensive experience in Revision surgeries.

Is implant removal necessary

Sorry to hear about your problem. It is really difficult to answer your question without evaluation or at least a photo. It may not be absolutely necessary depending upon your situation.  You may be able to put smaller implants in in a new plan combined with a total capsulectomy and use of acellular dermal matrix.  Before doing anything I would see several plastic surgeons and get a few opinions.  Good luck with your decision, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons. In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix. Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source (his human, porcine, or bovine in origin). I hope this, and the attached link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps.