4 weeks post op (extended abdominoplasty) and have new black holes on my side? (photos)

I had an extended abdominoplasty 4 weeks ago today. (As well as a breast lift with implants). While showering tonight I felt two holes on my left side back behind my hip. They're smaller then a pinky nail and they are open and blackish in color. I plan on calling my surgeons office tomorrow but am very concerned. They must be new, I didn't remember feel them last night. What could it be? Thank you in advanced for your help/opinion!

Tummy tuck results after four weeks

Its difficult to assess from your photographs alone, but its possible that some of your sutures have “popped” out through your skin and are causing some localised irritation.  While it can often look alarming, it usually resolves quite quickly on its own without any further intervention.  You should advise your surgeon and seek their advice on management.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  From what I can see, it appears as if there is a stitch or 2 spitting through the wound.  This will not be a problem in the long run.  For now, you should make an appointment to see your PS to have this looked at.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

At this point (1 month post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

I recommend you to talk with your plastic surgeon and follow his advices.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What is causing the black holes on the abdominoplasty scar

Thanks for the question.  Without examining you fully I can't be certain of the black spots, but with the limited photos that you have included I would believe the spots are no more of a concern than to believe they are dissolving, healing suture sites along the incision.  I would certainly ask your operating Plastic Surgeon about these when you have your next office visit.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Black Holes

These are probably stitch abscesses- suture knots which have not dissolved. Your plastic surgeon will be able to help with this and reassure you. Don't worry!

William H. Gorman, MD

New areas post-op

these are sutures that were buried under the skin at time of surgery and have now decided to work their way out for whatever reason. They can easily be removed in the office by your PS and the skin will simply heal over. 

TT and spit suture

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture they are a spit suture and is very common. You or your PS can pull the stitch out if possible. Please talk to your PS

Spitting sutures

It appears from your photographs that you have a common condition related to sutures placed at the time of surgery.  Your surgeon closed your incisions using multiple layers of sutures and it appears that several are "spitting" out similar to what happens with a splinter in the skin.  The body breaks down these types of resorbable sutures, but occassionally, a few sutures may come to the surface.  Your surgeon can assist you in removing these sutures which will allow the spots to heal.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery! 

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Spitting Sutures and Wound Healing after a Tummy Tuck

When I zoom in, it looks like there might be stitches (suture material) in those holes.  These are called spitting sutures when the knots from these sutures cause breakdown and opening of the overlying skin.   The exposed sutures can be trimmed down or removed by your plastic surgeon.  Keep these openings clean (soap and water) and apply something like Aquaphor and cover with a non-adherent or a gauze dressing twice a day until healed.  Once healed, you can treat the scars with silicone gel strips, a silicone gel product or your doctor's recommended treatment.

Spots at suture line

I would not worry too much.  Definitely call your surgeon and let him or her know, and be seen for an exam, but this appears to be simple suture related issues.  It appears to be some of the long-term dissolving stitches coming to a head.  They should continue to dissolve and be of no consequence to your ultimate result.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon