I plan on getting a tummy tuck and breast implant. I would like to know how doctors determine if you need a breast lift. (Photo)
Doctor Answers 23
BA with or without lift
Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".
Implants alone will correct drooping when:
- Breast drooping is mild
- The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
- There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
- The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
- Breast drooping is moderate or severe
- The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
- There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
- The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
- The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I use implants in combination with a lift when:
- The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
- The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
- The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)
Mommy Makeover with Augmentation Mastopexy
The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair. The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others. The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. Now, the intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.
Always talk to a Plastic Surgeon to discuss your issues and concerns. Information that you read online may not apply to your situation. Make sure your surgeon is boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.
Breast surgery and tummy tuck
A tummy tuck alone will flatten your upper and lower abdomen, but it doesn't address your sides. Consider liposuction on your flanks to get rid of the lovehandles. Best of luck!
You might also like...
Nipple asymmetry and love handles
Regarding the love handles, these are usually reduced by liposuction in the course of the tummy tuck. If sufficient loose skin exists on the love handles, then some degree of skin tuck and tightening will be need ed as well.
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram
Breast lift - how do you know if you need one?
- Great questions -
- With a tummy tuck, your flanks will be small IF you have liposuction of the flanks.
- They are not smaller from the tummy tuck alone.
- A breast lift is done if the breasts are sagging - which your do not appear to be.
- Although one nipple is higher, your breasts also have the normal asymmetry.
- Nipple position can be changed but it may not look right when breast position and size is a little different.
- This is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon during your consultation.
- Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Fortunately, in your photo, you seem to have very little droop - but of course, your arms are elevated, which makes it a little more difficult to tell.
Regarding the "love handle" question - I often find that liposuction of this area, at the same time as a tummy tuck, really gives the desired hourglass shape. Ask your surgeon about this option.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.