Is it way more dangerous to get a lift and implants at the same time?

I had my first consultation Thursday. I went for a breast lift and maybe see if I can go up one cup size. The doctor told me its way more dangerous to do both at one time. He said I had a 50/50 chance of looking all nipple sensation and another huge chance of busting. He told me down the road I can get implants. The only downside is that's it's two surgeries instead of one. But he said it's safer for me and can cause less scaring.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Combining Augmentation and Lift

Thanks for your question! While every surgeon has their own operating preferences, your interest in a breast augmentation and lift is quite reasonable to have at the same time. It is common to perform surgeries as such, due to their impacting results on each other. Many patients even often seek combination surgeries so they have one operating and recovery time. Depending on your goals for both procedures, it is best to understand that this may not always be attainable. Factors including your overall health and well being, plastic surgeon of choice, and availability for scheduling can determine if you will need one or two surgeries. Please consult with your board certified plastic surgeon to understand expectations and recovery time for both procedures.

Jay Burns, MD

Breast lift and implant

You are going to get different answers from different surgeons depending on their experience. I have found for me I get a better result doing the augmentation at the same time and helps me get the lifted breast in perfect position on the implant. I also know how much skin I can remove to tighten once the implant is already there. Different surgeons are going to have different comfort levels. Good luck.

Breast lift with implants? Yes!

I agree with one of the other docs, it depends on who you ask. I do simultaneous augmentations with mastopexys all the time. Rarely and for Other reasons I might recommend this in two stages, but 99 times out of 100 I find it safe and satisfying for all involved to do these procedures together. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Thank you for your question.  The augmentation/mastopexy procedure is safe as long as performed correctly and with a modest sized implant.  By adding an implant to a breast lift, the risk of wound healing problems goes up as the size of the implant increases.  If you are only wanting to increase by approximately one cup size for slight added fullness, then you should be safe to proceed.  However, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced and comfortable performing this procedure.  Best wishes!

Breast lift with implants

Like anything ,it depends on who you ask. I've done these operations together for 24 years and find it very satisfying for both my patients and myself. I do not find that the cumulative risk of doing these procedures together increases especially over just mastopexy alone. A couple of provisions I think need to be considered. In my opinion, a very large implant and a very small amount of skin removed does not fare well in that the lift doesn't hold up that long. I prefer a more modest size implant that doesn't put a strain on the closure of the lift or add an undue amount of weight that may not stay up. If I were you, I would find a few physicians in your region and get their opinions because I bet they will vary. Consider using a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Maybe Not Dangerous If Your The Correct Candidate

Dangerous maybe the appropriate description, but it depends on your anatomy and the degree of your ptosis.  Mild ptosis can be corrected at the same time as an augment in some people.  However, I have also had women in my practice that I recommend doing it in two stages.  This is with severe grade 2 or grade 3 ptosis patients.

Thanks,

Gordon Telepun, MD
Decatur,  Alabama

Simultaneous breast lift with implants is a safe surgery

In my opinion and that of many other surgeons, it is not way more dangerous to do a breast lift and a breast augmentation at the same time. As your doctor said, it is true that the only downside is that it requires two operations instead of one. I recommend that the implants be placed in the dual plane behind the muscle, as there have not been enough studies to show how safe subglandular placement would be. 

Either way, I suggest that you ask your surgeon if when doing the anchor lift he or she uses the I.D.E.A.L. Breast Lift approach. Click on the link below to see before and after photos of women similar to you who have had a simultaneous breast lift and augmentation. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgeon Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Is it way more dangerous to get a breast lift and implants at the same time?

I do not think that it is more dangerous to do a breast lift and augmentation at the same procedure if neurosurgeon's comp or with doing this procedure and of course if you've needed.

However many surgeons feel that it is best to stage the 2 procedures. The most important thing for you is to choose your surgeon and then follow that surgeon's advice.

Breast lift with implants. One stage or two?

The combination of breast lift and breast implants is more complex than either alone.  For that reason, many plastic surgeons feel more comfortable separating the procedures.   The risk of combining is not related to nipple sensation or implant rupture but rather cosmetic issues such as symmetry and accuracy of nipple positioning.  The combination has a higher revision risk and many would prefer to separate.  

On the contrary, many (if not most) plastic surgeons feel quite comfortable and confident in their ability to safely do the procedure together and recommend it when feasible.  

In my practice, I typically do them together but recommend separation when there are complicating factors such as SEVERE asymmetry or when the patient is not certain about one of the components of the operation.  

There is a higher risk of secondary surgery when combining them, but in doing them separately there is a 100% risk they will require two surgeries.  

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon