I'm wondering will 550cc UHP be too big for my body? (Photos)

Will I be able to achieve my wish pic looks with that size. Or will I have to go bigger. I don't want them too big to where I start having back problems.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant size

In order, to determine what might be appropriate for you, an exam in person is key.  Best of luck!...

Is there a limit to how BIG an implant can be??

Hi there Tammyc85!

Thanks for your question.

The first thought that comes to mind for me is that there is a reason that a wish pic is called a "Wish Pic!"

As a woman, I see a lot of woman with an interest in breast implant surgery and many bring in a pic, similar to the one you have shown me.  

The FIRST REALITY is that there is a limit to what size can be placed for any particular woman. 

The SECOND REALITY is that the outcome of this surgery will be with you for a very LONG time.  What I mean by that is what may be of interest to you today, may not be what you want 10 years from now. 

The THIRD REALITY is that the bigger and heavier the implant, the faster they fall and stretch the skin-- to the point sometimes of leaving stretch marks.

So when shopping for implants, keep in mind "Be careful what you wish for" as it may be your biggest mistake -- if you don't know all the facts.  Visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for appropriate measurements and assessments to learn what's "REAL" for you!

Thank you!

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

I'm wondering will 550cc UHP be too big for my body?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  Best wishes!

Breast implant sizing

Hi - the most appropriate size of implant should be chosen after your consultation with your surgeon - it depends on your height, chest width and tissue stretch as there is a limit to the maximum size of implant you can have.  It may be possible for you to have 550cc UHP implants but they will be heavy and can lead to excessive tissue stretch giving you an unnatural look in the future.  I would advise you visit several surgeons to ensure you are happy with their advice.  Good luck

Breast implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast augmentation question

Hello and thank you for your question and photos. 

This question is best answered in the office, where you can be measured and examined. Generally, it is also best to have the opportunity to try on several sizers to see how the implants fit your frame. 

I would suggest doing the rice test at home. Take a pair of nylons, fill each with dry rice ( 1 ounce = approx 30 cc ) and wear that inside your bra for a day. It will give you a good idea of how much added volume will make you feel. 

I would avoid the ultra high profile implants. Although they can give you strong projection, it may not fill your breast diameter. A slightly wider implant will give you a more natural shape. It can also be a little "pointy"

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

What Size for me? ?

I always recommend looking at sizers on your own frame.  When you visit your PS ask to see how sample implants balance with your hips and goals. think width first and then think projection. Your PS will also have to help guide you. Sometimes there are physical limitations.

I have included some sizing FAQ below. I hope they are helpful. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

it would be best to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Often we have sizers in the office that can help give you an idea about whether a particular size is appropriate or desirable to you. Your surgeon's opinion will go along way. Best of luck to you. 

The best way to determine the right implant size and style- is by being examined at your consultation appointment with a Board Certified PS. Once the measurements are taken, the Surgeon will recommend the implants that would fit your body best to get as close to your wish pic as possible. Then, you will go through a thorough sizing process. Hope this helps