Why do I have a new stabbing pain to the side of one of my breasts? (photos)

I am 22 days post op breast augmentation. As of two days ago, I have a new pain (stabbing pain when I touch it) to the right of my right breast right under the armpit. Not sure why or how this happened. Maybe doing too much. I'm a wreck! It also is a stabbing pain when I lift my right arm. Also I was told to not massage my breasts at all, however I consistently see and hear advice that people are. Why am I told opposite?

Massage or not

Your story sounds like a neurogenic type pain to where a healing nerve has been aggravated. With NSAIDS and rest this should get better in a few weeks.  As far as massage, it is usually reserved only for smooth implants. If you have a shaped implant it may be counter productive because it may aid in rotation of the implant.  Your plastic surgeon who knows what type of implant was placed can be your best resource for information.  Congratulations on your surgery. 

Thank you for your question. As early as you are after surgery it is normal to have aches and pains as scarring sets in. You should ask your surgeon how they want you to handle it but I would have my patient massage the area. Internal and external scars take 12 months to remodel and soften so you are well within that time period. If it is something you feel is more relevant pain wise you need to go see your surgeon for an evaluation, but most likely it is just scarring.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Pain After Implants

Thank you for the photo and questions. You may have nerve or muscle related pain but I strongly recommend you see your surgeon regarding this new pain to make sure you receive proper care. Your surgeon can also advise you about massage vs no massage. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Pain after three weeks.

Hello,  thank you for your question and photo.   You have to take some rest,  take painkillers and wait.  All these symptoms will dissappear in a few more weeks.   Usually it happens when the patient start doing  activities with the dominant side.   Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon