Perfect temps vs. bulky veneers. Starting round 2. What approach would you take to ensure the finals look like temps? (Photos)

My dentist created the perfect temps.They were weakening so the lab decided to proceed without a final mockup. The veneers came back too bulky, too white/monochromatic, & the prominance of the 2 front teeth was gone.My dentist was also disappointed with the lab and said we would start over. What approach would you take to ensure the finals look like the temps/that the front teeth are prominent & that the rest are not bulky? My 2 front teeth have root canals/posts.The others are over my teeth.

Ensuring Great final Veneer Results

It's very disappointing to not like your final veneers. To get a great final result, requires communicating a number of things well with the lab. A good cosmetic dentist will do some or all of these things:

1) Take an assortment of photos of your temporaries.

2) Make a model of your temporaries and provide that to the lab.

3) Take some video of you speaking with your temporaries in. That way the lab can see the same movements and alignments with your face and your lips that the Dentist sees.

4) Use the DSD (Digital Smile Design) technique. Measurements can be made by the Dentist and the Ceramist from certain images. The measurements from the temporaries can be translated over to the final veneers. (we will be adding this information to our website soon).

5) While the basic shape and size of the plastic temporaries can be fine. I always allow my Ceramist SOME creativity in making the final porcelain.

6) Try to minimize numbness during trying-in the final veneers. A new anesthetic named Kovanaze has recently been released. It allows a Cosmetic Dentist to get the teeth numb, with far less muscle or lip numbness. Instead of having injections or shots, the teeth are numbed via a special medicated nasal spray. It will be far easier for both yourself, and the Cosmetic Dentist to judge the final ceramics with less of your face numb (and that you are still very comfortable).

7) There are a variety of Ceramists, and they have all different skill levels. Working with the best Ceramist possible (A Master Ceramist or an Accredited Lab Technician via the AACD), can improve the results.

8) Occasionally, it is helpful for the Ceramist to be present at the appointment when the veneers are tried-in. Then yourself, the Dentist and the Ceramist can concur on any changes and all see the same thing at the same time. Occasionally it requires more than one fitting to get all of the nuances.

If you loved your temporary veneers, then there is still hope!

Bulky porcelain veneers

Hi:

My advice is to definitely sending a mock up of the temps to the lab to match in terms of thickness and contour.

Also using master technician to make veneers has a profound effect on the naturalness of the final results.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Temps vs permanent veneers #DrSoftTouch

I'm sorry to hear that you don't love your permanent veneers. Your temporaries look very natural. I would recommend returning to your dentist to express your concerns. He/she can recreate what you love about your temporaries, so you'll love your permanent veneers too!  I hope this helps! Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.

Temps to Final Restorations

Your temporary ( I call them prototype) restorations look great.  If you like them it is up to your dentist to get the laboratory to recreate what you love about them.

When doing cosmetic treatment is is not unusual to have some adjustments or even remakes before getting what both you and your doctors want.  Trust your doctor to get the look you want ...after all you chose him for a reason.

Tim Huckabee, DDS
Southlake Dentist