The correlation of price and location with quality for nose jobs?

I'm an 18 year old male, If I pay more money will it make a significant different difference in the quality of my nose job? If I go to a cheaper place like mexico will access to materials/other conditions affect the quality? I know that specialization is important and I will make sure to hire someone who specializes in rhinoplasty, but besides that (and credibility, say something like being verified by the american association of plastic surgeons) will my nose look that much better/worse or is it minute?

Rhinoplasty

Hi there. That is a great question! I would advise you to not travel to a location where the quality may not be up to par. There are many great surgeons in Mexico, but the odds are much better in the US of finding a quality surgeon who will give you the best chance of obtaining a good result. The price does correlate to some degree with quality, but not always. Research doctors in your area on Realself and then visit with them. Good luck!

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yeah, to an extent price and quality go together. But not always! And it looks like you need some advice in selecting a surgeon.

Forget finding out if a surgeon is verified by the american association of plastic surgeons. Those diploma-things will just distract you from what's important. Primarily, you at a surgeon's before and after photos.

Don't just assume that less cost is less quality and more cost is more. You have to check out each surgeon for yourself. Click on the "Web reference" link, just below this post, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_All_Treatments.html

That page has a great section on how to check out a doctor for a rhinoplastly.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Search for Expert Surgeon

Dear oullman7130, I would highly recommend not traveling to Mexico for rhinoplasty surgery. Being in Newport Beach, California and only a few hours from the border I have many patients come to my office who have attempted this and are now having to pay a hefty price regarding their result as well as for a revision procedure. Since you are on real self I would suggest that you continue your search here for an expert surgeon. First find some surgeons with many five star reviews read the reviews and if the majority of the reviews are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then the surgeon likely denotes a large portion of their practice to this speciality. Go to the surgeons website and review the before and after photographs to ensure natural looking rhinoplasty results and then schedule some complimentary consultations. Once in consultation have imaging performed to show you the proposed surgical results to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page. Once the desired result is decided upon then the surgeon will discuss in length the techniques which will be used to attain the desired nose. After these steps you will be well informed regarding rhinoplasty and can make an informed decision on your surgeon of choice. Many surgeons like myself have very reasonable rhinoplasty fees for the simple fact we want to make the procedure affordable so that every patient can have access to an expert surgeon and expect a very rewarding result. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

The correlation of Price and location with quality for nose jobs?

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult procedure to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, therefore is not advisable to go to Mexico.  Shop quality, not price since this is the most prominent feature on  your face.  Make appointments with the 3 busiest rhinoplasty surgeons in your area.  In addition to board certifications, look at their  Rhinoplasty photo Gallery which should be extensive. Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component on of the practice to the  discipline of rhinoplasty, performs them often on a weekly basis, and has done so for over a decade.

Surgeon definitely affects results

Choosing the right surgeon will definitely affect your results. And typically, board certified surgeons are more expensive. They also have significantly more training. I would not advise having this surgeon in another country for many reasons not the least of which is you want your surgeon close for post op care.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

The results of your nose can be dramatically different based on the surgeon you choose. So pick carefully and try to have your surgery performed in the states.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Hello oullman7130 - Thanks for your question. Paying more money won't necessarily get you a better outcome. In general, those who charge more have more experience and reputation for rhinoplasty, but that doesn't mean that it guarantees more success. In my practice, 40% of my patients come for correction of previous rhinoplasty results from surgery performed by other surgeons than myself. Because of this, while my overall revision rate is very low, it is not as low as someone who performs mostly simple primary rhinoplasty. I have a technically more difficult patient population. However, because I spend more time fixing mistakes, my skill set is greater than a surgeon who just dabbles in rhinoplasty. Please watch my video about choosing the right plastic surgeon for your needs for more information. There are great plastic surgeons who perform rhinoplasty, and there are great rhinoplasty surgeons. These are not the same thing. Knowing the difference is what will improve your chances of getting the best result. Don't let price be your ultimate guide either. 

If you have other questions, I would be happy to discuss them with you at my Denver office. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon