Should all Botox injections be administered by a doctor? How about crows feet?

Doctor Answers 14

Botox injections by a doctor or nurse (or someone else)?

This topic is always hotly contested, and varies state to state depending on their laws.  I risk alienating some colleagues with my statement, but I personally I feel that Botox should always be administered by a physician, not a nurse or a physician's assistant.  Not only that, I recommend receiving injections from a physician with the appropriate training in that anatomic area (usually a general plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or oculoplastic surgeon, not in any particular order).  A dentist? No.  An OB/GYN? No.  A family physician? No.  These practitioners are usually trying to pad their practice's revenue by offering this on the side.  You are paying a fair amount to have a procedure, and you should receive attention appropriate to the treatment. As a facial plastic surgeon, would you want me to manage your blood sugar if you had diabetes?

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Should all Botox injections be administered by a doctor? How about crows feet?

The law varies in terms of what training is required to provide certain treatments. In Colorado we see alot of minimally trained "injectors" performing treatments. When it comes to your face and your safety you want the most extensively trained injector treating you. That is typically a plastic surgeon or dermatologist, ideally one who trains other physicians on the products you're being treated with.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Should all Botox injections be administed by a doctor?

I firmly believe that all Botox injections should be administered not just by a doctor, but by a Board-Certified Dermatologist or Aesthetic Surgeon.  We use Botox Cosmetic to achieve an optimal brow position and shape, erase forehead wrinkles, improve one's smile, raise the lowered corners of an aging mouth, and shape a person's face and neck.  Even something as simple as crows feet injection requires considerable skill.  We can use the area of the crows feet to not only erase lines in the corners of a patient's eyes, but to also raise the position of their brows; furthermore, overinjection of this area can lead to a weird smile, where the cheek doesn't move adequately while a person is smiling, creating an artificial "shelf". Therefore, it is important to see a properly trained specialist, rather than someone, who took a "weekend course" in order to look your best.

Hope this helps

Tatiana Khrom, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Botox injections and physicians

I personally believe that all injections, including Botox, should only be administered by board certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons.  I have seen many problems over the years with inexperience injectors.  

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Botox Injections Should be Administered by a Doctor

Hi! This is a fantastic question that I’m happy to answer. I believe Botox treatments should be administered by a medical professional, specifically a double board certified surgeon, in order to ensure that your Botox treatments are performed in a safe manner and environment by a highly trained practitioner.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

Have your Botox injections performed by a qualified physician

Thank you for your question.  I think the best answer is for you to understand that nurse injure yours and nonphysician injectors require some form of supervising physician.

In my practice only physician's inject Botox.

Botox injections

debz1,this varies state to state and office to office. In my office I do all of my injections. It isn't as easy as some people think it is to get a good result. One needs a good idea of where the muscles are spatially located, their relative thickness and strength etc. I would recommend you see a facial plastic specialist or derm MD. Good luck!!!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Botox injections-Windsor Dermatologist

You only have one face!  You wouldn't take your car to get serviced at a fast food restaurant.  I'm a strong believer in seeing an expert in his/her field when it comes to your health.  For Botox injections you should see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  They have been trained in facial anatomy and proper procedures.  Have it done properly or don't do it at all.  

I wish you the best.

Dr Daniel Radin,  Dermatologist(Windsor)

Daniel Radin, MD
Windsor Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Who can inject Botox?

there are some nurses who are advanced and they're training and very experienced in injections with Botox.  In the end the person responsible for that nurse is a physician and hopefully a board certified physician either in facial plastics, general plastic surgery, or dermatology.

I do see a little bit of self promotion or promotion of one's own specialty and some of the previous answers but the reality is there are some very good injectors at different levels of credentialing out they're available to you.  One nurse injector I've known for very long time has been injecting for over 20 years and I wouldn't have any concerns about her injecting me.  That being said the greatest amount of training and experiences usually lies in the hands of a doctor.  Most often a facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist and in some cases a greater degree in oculoplastic surgeons.

also, do not be frustrated by early experiences if you're not satisfied.  Finding someone who injects Botox the way that you find favorable is like finding a hair stylist that you like.  many R and qualified and many are good but but not everyone is right for U

best of luck to you

Chase Lay, MD

Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Botox injections

I believe that only a dermatologist or plastic surgeon should perform any cosmetic injections. I have seen very poor results by other health care workers, including GPs who decide to get into the cosmetic buisness to boost their earnings.Taking a few weekend courses, does not mean that they can actually do a good job.See a qualifed dermatologist or plastic surgeon for safe, reliable, effective results.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.