Can Botox Totally Paralyze my Frown Lines?

I am 22, and have in the past 2 years gotten into the habit of furrowing my brow almost all day. The muscles have now achieved a life of their own, and are constantly working against my will. I look strange - young looking skin, yet with very noticeable furrows on my forehead. I want to TOTALLY paralyze the muscles between my eyebrows, so that not only will the lines go away, but hopefully with paralyzed muscles for up to a year I'll be cured of the habit. What do you suggest? Can botox totally paralyze my frown lines?

Botox and frown muscles

Botox, carefully applied, can probably stop your frowning. With a little effort on your part with biofeedback, you may able to break or at least minimize your tendency toward heavy frowning.

There is a delicate balance in the forehead and frown muscles affecting brow position, facial animation, as well as risks, benefits of the injections, so definitely discuss those with your doctor prior to proceeding.

Frown line options

Thank you for your question. The frown lines between the brows can be address two different ways:
1) Botox or Dysport can be used to soften the deepening of the frown lines when making a frown expression. The treatment may even soften the lines that are present at rest. The effects typically last 3-4 months depending on the dose. I generally use between 15-40 units of Botox (30-120 units of Dysport) in the frown area depending on the strength of the muscle and the degree of frown reduction we are trying to achieve.
2) Restylane or Juvederm can be used to soften the frown lines that are present even when you don't make an expression. This can last for a year or more when used in conjunction with Botox.
For someone who has concerns with both the static lines (without expression) and the dynamic lines (with expression), then using both products would work well together.
I often find that patients who return after a Botox or Dysport treatment in the frown areas complaining it didn't work, is due to the confusion between the static and dynamic frown lines. They continue to see the static lines even though the dynamic lines have softened considerably.

22 and Botox

22 years of age is a bit young to obtain Botox, but the Botox would definitely paralyze the glabella region and minimize "11' lines.

Botox for freezing frownlines

Hi Sbi,

If your frown lines are not visible when you are not frowning, then it's a fairly certain assumption that Botox will solve your issue. If the lines are there even when you are not frowning, then there is a possibility that removing the frown lines would involve a combination of dermal fillers and Botox.

We're guessing by your age that you will probably only need Botox, but find a reputable Botox practitioner near you to find out for sure. Once you start, you will need to visit about 3-4 times per year to maintain your results. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Yes

You sound like an ideal candidate for Botox to the glabellar muscles (the muscles between the eyes). Unfortunately, it won't last a year so you'll have to go back a few times. The more you get is done the longer it tends to last.

However, even it you get Botox for a year I doubt that it will solve the problem permanently. Once the Botox wears off if you are still in the habit of furrowing the brows it will return.

I think you might work on consciously relaxing those muscles. If it doesn't work try the Botox.

Yes, Botox can help

Botox will be very useful in paralyzing the muscles between your eyebrows (corrugators). That will certainly minimize the lines (the angry "11s") between your eyebrows. Using it every 4-6 months will prevent the muscle contraction and prevent your lines from getting deeper.

However, you need to understand that if you already have lines between your eyebrows when you are NOT frowning, then Botox can help make those lines softer, but it will NOT remove the lines completely. Your options to try and remove the lines completely are a combination of Botox and a filler (Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse). Another option is Botox + lasers. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

You can relax the muscles and over time, you can minimize movement greatly

Thanks for your question.

Botox will only relax / paralyze the glabellar muscles for approximately 4 months, and some cases, slightly longer. However, these effects are temporary, and your muscles will again regain their ability to make those frown lines. Doing Botox regularly over time will cause these muscles to atrophy and become weak, and thereby not be able to strongly produce your frown lines anymore.

Although you are young, and some may think it might be early for you to do Botox, I don't agree and think that doing Botox now is the best way to prevent getting lines you truly dislike. My advice is to do Botox regulary, every 4 months or so, for the first year, then start spreading the injections out to 4-6 months as the muscles have weakened. The best time to do Botox for you is when you start noticing the muscle movement returning.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox for forehead frown lines

Botox is capable of preventing you from furrowing your forehead. The number of units required varies depending on the individual (typically 15-25 units). Botox can drop the brow position in some individuals, albeit less likely in a 22 year-old with no eyelid laxity. A botox treatment or series of treatments may very well help you break the habit of "talking with your forehead."

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Yes, Botox can paralyze frown lines

Dear Sbim

The worry lines between the eyebrows are often frozen with the standard treatments. This worry line area is actually the indication for which BOTOX received FDA approval. Freezing the forehead is another matter. When too much BOTOX is used on the forehead the eyebrows fall. This is generally a less desirable result.

The liquidfacelift.com website is a good place to look for a reputable injector. The doctors specialty should be one of the core specialties: Dermatology, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, or general plastic surgery. Your treating physician will assess you and determine the best approach to help you achieve your goal.

This sounds possible

Enough Botox used will totally paralyze the muscles that are causing your frown lines.  The effect should last 4 months so you will need to repeat it at least 3 times to get a year away from frowning and see if you can break this habit.