Why is Botox Needed Every 6 Month for Hyperhidrosis?

does Botox disappear after 6 month what happens to the amount that they first inject? Im 23 years old if i inject Botox every six month for the rest of my life where is all the Botox store? does it disappear? My doctor says the sweat has to come out some how and if i stop the sweet from my hands, feet and armpit will I be sweeting in other areas of my body like my back etc??.. he recommended a different technique call Iontopheresis, have you try this technology with your patients?

Miradry and Botox for sweating

Our office specializes in hyperhidrosis treatments and I have coauthored a book on the subject. Miradry is excellent for the underarms and may be a permanent treatment. Botox lasts only 4 to 6 months and may have to be repeated. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Botox for hyperhydrosis

Thank you for your question. Botox is a very effective treatment for hyperhidrosis (armpit, hands, feet, scalp/face, etc). The dosing is typically based on areas treated but can vary around 50 - 100 units per side depending on how large the treatment area. Duration also depends on dose and technique, but can vary from 3-6 months. For the armpit region, you may also want to consider miraDry as it provides a longer lasting relief and in the long run is more cost-effective.

Miradry instead...

Our office specializes in Miraday. Miradry just got FDA clearance for elimination of all hair colors under the arm. It also has clearance for the elimination of underarm sweating and odor. Much cheaper than botox and permanent.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Botox or Miradry for Sweating Problems

Botox effects goes away and it is not stored, rather broken down and eliminated slowly by your body. Miradry is the best way to correct your problem. Excess sweat (hyperhydrosis), and smelly armpits (bromhydrosis) are caused by eccrine (sweat) and apocrine glands whose secretion is modified by bacteria causing a bad odor. Miradry eliminates these glands permanently and solves both problems. You will never need to use deodorant again.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Botox, a temporary treatment for hyperhidrosis.

Boxtox will typically give relief for hyperhidrosis for 4-6 months, it is broken down by the body and no longer blocks the nerve terminals, after that time. Sweating from the armpit, is less than 2 % of the body surface area. Stopping sweating in that area, is unlikely to effect sweating in other areas of the body.

Sweat glands can be permanently removed, through a process known as retro-dermal curettage. The procedure can be done with local anesthesia and typically improves the sweating 80-95% with only one treatment required.
15% of the patients undergo a local touch up, if required.

The cost is usually equivalent to 4-5 Botox treatments.

You should consider cellulaze or smartlipo for axillary hyperhidrosis.

Botox typical lasts 6 months. it works very well but it is expensive and has to be repeated. 

i have used the cellulaze system, off label, for hyperhydrosis of the axillary region with good results. 
it appears to last many years and may be permanent, so it is much more cost effective. you should be able to
return to the work the next day. you will be in and out of the procedure in about 30-45 minutes. 

david berman md
plastic surgeon
northern va

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not a permanent treatment and usually lasts 3-6 months to help control Hyperhidrosis, once your body metabolizes the product, you’ll start to notice the effects wear off 

Botox Duration

Botox for hyperhidrosis typically lasts between 3-6 months with most patients lasting closer to 6 months than 3 months.  Its effects end when the botox no longer binds to the sweat gland and normal function of gland resumes.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeated Botox injections for hyperhidrosis

Botox injections for hyperhidrosis typically last 4-6 months.  Like most medications, Botox is not stored long term in the body.  It binds to receptors then is metabolized and breaks down.  Usually with repeated treatments the frequency of Botox injections can be decreased.  When it is for hyperhidrosis, insurance usually covers the costs.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Botox injections and need for repeat injections

The current Botox 'neurotoxin' wears off and needs to be replenished to garner the desired effect. Rest assured that another company is working on a variant that has a longer lasting effect - I am sure they are investing hundreds of millions of dollars to fgure it out - it would be like taking a medication for high blood pressure (like Toprol) 3 times a day and then developing an extended release medication that is taken once a day (Toprol XL). It is the same issue with Botox and another version that lasts longer. However, the down side of that is that if it lasts longer and you don't like the effect, you are stuck with it ... Having said that, Botox has helped millions of people with over 22 FDA indications and growing yearly and you can keep getting it without known undue side effects or complications that we are aware of to date.