I Was Looking at Getting Botox but I'm Kind of Scared of the Cons of Botox?

I'm in my early 20's would Botox affect me I'm the future? What's your guys suggestions for a fuller face mainly cheeks ? The reason why I was interested in Botox is because my face has lost it's volume and elasticity after hardcore dieting I did before my diet my face was very plump and healthy looking and that the look I wanted to go back too! What's your guys suggestions for a fuller face mainly cheeks ?

Doctor Answers 7

Cosmetic Consult recommended

Hi Andrea! I understand your concern for volume loss in the face. I think having a thorough cosmetic consult would be beneficial. It sounds like, from what you describe, that you would benefit more from a volumizing filler to the cheek area. I think Radiesse is a great option to fill the malar/submalar fat pad and areas of separation. Best of luck with your consult.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Botox is temporary

Botox is completely temporary and will not cause long term effects. Studies show that your muscles continue to respond to botox, even after decades of use, without a decrease in results or permanent changes. That being said, botox does nothing for volume loss. Fillers are to replace the fat we lose with age or dieting.  I always recommend hyaluronic acid filler (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero) for the new filler patient because it can be erased if you don't like the results. Lasers such as Fraxel and retinoids (Retin-A) can help with your skin elasticity. 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Treatment for global facial volume restoration

Botox is great for addressing dynamic rhytids - the wrinkles that form when you make facial expressions such as frowning.  For the issue you are describing, loss of facial volume, the best way to restore fuller cheeks is by using facial fillers.  Given your age, starting with a reversible filler such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Perlane is a good option.  These are temporary, but the advantage is that if you try it and don't like the look, they can easily be reversed.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Filler for volume loss

When looking to add volume, facial fillers are the best option. Radiesse is a great option for the cheeks, and can yield fantastic results when the injections are performed properly. I would recommend an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices, and will help advise you on what filler(s) would help you reach your goal. I hope this helps, and i wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Consultations Before Getting Botox and Fillers

Hi Andrea.  We think a consultation is ion order to understand how the products are used.  Botox is for relaxing facial muscles but cannot help with volume loss.  For weight loss and volume loss, you can consider Sculptra, Radiesse, Perlane,. Juvederm or Restylane.  All are good options.  

A consultation with a great injector will give you a better idea of what direction to go in.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Botox or Fillers

As far as your concerns with the risks of Botox, you should not worry. Major side effects with Botox have rarely been reported and if done by an experienced injector the risks are even lower. However, it sounds like fillers may be a better option for you if you are looking to increase the volume of your cheeks. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Sounds like you may be more interested in a filler...or maybe Sculptra

if the problem you're interested in correcting involves creases and wrinkles with muscle movement especially in your forehead, between your eyes or in the crow's feet area, then botox is the perfect solution...and it doesn't come with unwanted baggage...perfectly safe...on the other hand, it wound like you may need a filler to plump up skin that's lost it's volume...I think the best product currently is Sculptra but there's a role for Juvederm/Restylane depending on the amount of volume you've lost...ask your doctor...and good luck...

Ken Landow, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.