Will Botox on my Jaw Line Make my Face Look Thin?

I Want to Look a Bit Plumpier

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.

The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. I ask my patients to place their hands along the sides of their face over their masseter muscles and clench on/off so they can feel the masseter muscles bouncing against their hands. I also ask them to repeat this at home in a couple weeks time to compare so they can see the effects of the masseter reduction.

Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) will not plump face and is used to weaken muscles or atrophy/shrink them

IF you want to look a bit plumpier, than you need fillers to plump you rather than Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) which acts to weaken or shrink muscles.

Botox on the Jawline

Botox is effective at narrowing the face by reducing the bulk of the masseter muscles.  Have please make sure that you are being treated by an experienced and board certified surgeon.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox Cosmetic to Improve Jaw Line for Enlarged Muscles

Hi paigeexx in glasgow,

Botox Cosmetic has been used in the jaw line area to improve fullness of jaw muscle excess (masseter hypertrophy). Generally, the masseter muscle softens gradually over time with repeat Botox Cosmetic treatments. However, if you feel the jaw line area needs more volume or enhancement then Botox Cosmetic may not be appropriate. You may consider dermal facial fillers as a nonsurgical cosmetic treatment. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck!

Dr. C

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is effective for reducing masseter hypertrophy

Botox is quite effective for reducing masseter hypertrophy (enlarged chewing muscles).  By reducing masseter hypertrophy with botox, you will give the face a slimmer appearance.  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in jawline

This would be a good time to have a cosmetic consultation with an injecting physician. Botox in the jawline if done correctly and for that purpose, can be used as a method to streamline the face/given a narrower appearance. It sounds as if you want to have fillers- if you want it to look "plumper".

Sure, if injected in the masseter, the jaw line will look narrower.

Do not get jaw line Botox if you do not want your face look more narrow as this is what treat does very effectively. If you want your face to be more full, have you cosmetic sugeon inject you with facial fillers.

Botox of the jaw

Botox can be used off-label on the jawline to decrease the pulling down of the jowls from the action of the neck platysma muscle . This shold not make the face look thinner. If it used in the cheeks to decrease hypertrophic masseter muscles (chewing muscles) then the face will look thinner.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Jawline Botox

You did not mention why you want botox on the jawline. Most of the time botox at the jawline is used for masseter hypertrophy to thin it out.

Can work wonders if placed right

When injecting the lower third of the masseter muscle, the area begins to weaken and somewhat atrophy. This creats a thinner and much streamlined face and is perfect for those whose face is slightly squarish because of such a thing. Add that with superficial injection of the platysmal muscle on the jaw line itself and the neck becomes somewhat longer. This can make the person look thinner. Patient selection is key in this as not all face types can have a similar effect to the procedure. As with any Botox injections, retreatment will be required every 3-4 months as necessary. Proper knowledge of anatomy is a must and patients should seek medical practitioners with experience and a proper educational background.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist