I received Botox 6 hrs before I got a facial massage; will this ruin the effects?

Botox and facials

The reason you want to wait in between Botox and a facial is because extreme pressure could technically move some of the Botox into undesired locations. While I've not actually seen this happen, I do stress to people to wait a minimum of 24 hours in between a Botox treatment and a facial.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

You will probably be okay Having had a massage six hours after the Botox treatment.

The greatest risk you can have from the massage six hours after Botox treatment would be the dispersion of the Botox into unwanted areas. If you had your grow lines treated  you may have a greater risk of getting droopy eyelids. Besides that I don't think there's much rest.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Facial Massage

I always prefer to tell my patients to wait 24 hours after Botox for a facial massage.  However, six hours after the injections, the risk of diffusing the Botox is much less.

The day of treatment Its best to not manipulate the area that was treated, after the first 24 hours it’s ok massage the area. I suggest you advise your medical provider 

Facial After Botox Treatment

I typically suggest that my patients wait at least 24 hours after Botox before getting a facial. The movement taken upon the face during a facial can affect where the Botox has been injected and one’s aesthetic look. There is the possibility that movement could affect treatment. While this does not always happen, in general, it is best to wait at least 24 hours after a Botox treatment before doing anything to your face, including strenuous exercise.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

It's really best to wait at least 24 hours after the Botox injections before doing anything like a facial. There is some risk of the Botox moving to unwanted areas if you do not wait the 24 hours.  

Botox and facial

If you are going to have a facial then it is not a good idea to have Botox injected within the same time period.  Best to have the facial before or a few days afterward( minimum).

Botox before a facial massage

Botox binds to its site of action within 30 minutes in most cases, so having a massage 6 hours after injection should be fine. The massage will not cause the Botox to be ineffective or wear off faster either. 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox before a facial

The likelihood is that you would be fine. However, rubbing the area above and between the eyes right after botox injection there is not recommended. It would be better to schedule your massage or your Botox at another time because if you had an eyelid droop or a problem you would think that it was that massage that did it and why worry about a massage, you should enjoy it fully.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Massage after Botox

I don't believe the massage will have any effect on your Botox. As an oculoplastic surgeon, I've been injecting Botox since the early 1990s. I've heard all kinds of stories and rules about what you should and shouldn't do after Botox. Massage the area/don't massage the area, stimulate the muscle/don't stimulate the muscle. In my experience none of those rules make any difference. Botox works where it is injected. I suppose if you massage right over the injection site immediately after the injection, you could spread the Botox around a little. If this makes any difference I would think it to be minimal.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon