Can Botox or Dysport help with "depressed" face?

I suffered from depression for years and now I have BDD, because my face looks angry as a result of frustration all the time and I'm being told about this by everyone (you can view my photos at my previous questions). As I heard botox/dysport can help only with wrinkles. I have angry, frown look (my inner eyebrows pulled down, guess because of overactive of corrugators) but I DON'T have any wrinkles, they are visible only when I'm frowning. Is that mean I'm not a candidate for botox/dysport?

Mood elevation with Botox or Dysport

Recent studies have revealed that treatment with Botox can lead to mood elevation since the angry expressions are suppressed leading to mood elevation.

New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or Dysport for depression

• You do not need wrinkles to have Botox or Dysport,
  • The muscles that make you look sad and mad can be injected, so their effect decreases,
  • Recent research - get ready - in a controlled, double blind trial shows that Botox decreases depression.
  • In other words, depression changes our face - and changing our face changes our mood.
  • Go for it! Best wishes.

Can Botox help alter expression?

Yes, often the relaxation of the muscle as part of Botox magic while help relax or alter a person's expression.  Try it.  There is very little downside to a treatment.   

H. Michael Roark, MD

You can look more relaxed with neurotoxin.

Botox or neurotoxin injections can help with a "depressed" or "angry" looking face. Often by using neurotoxin to lift the brows slightly or correct a downward turning mouth an experienced injector can make a patient appear more relaxed, youthful, and happier. Additionally, recent studies have suggested that botox injections can help improve depression. The exact mechanism for this is not precisely understood, but the saying seems to be true that when people look their best, they feel their best.

Lana Kashlan, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

BOTOX® treats more than just wrinkles.

Although BOTOX® and Dysport® are thought of as treatments specifically for existing wrinkles, the reason these injections work is because they help the muscles to relax. The involuntary facial expressions you’re probably not even aware you’re making can almost certainly be improved with either product. Visit a skilled injector, and he or she will carefully examine your facial expressions and muscle movement to determine where injections can be placed for the biggest impact, allowing your natural expression to soften and look more positive. As an added bonus, even if you don’t see visible wrinkles right now, beginning regular treatments with BOTOX® or Dysport® can work as a preventative measure too, helping you retain a youthful look for longer.

Botox to treat Depression

A recent study has found that Botox treats depression. I believe the old adage that "when you look better you feel better" so please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience  in Botox for the best cosmetic results.

Do you smile when you are happy? or do you become happy when you smile ?

Do you smile when you are happy? or do you become happy when you smile ?  I know that sounds silly, but try it yourself for a second.  It actually works.

Similarly, if Botox (or dysport or Xeomin) is used to create the appearance of a face at greater ease, more relaxed, and happier.... that can feed back on your psyche.  Also, you might receive more positive feed back from your colleagues, family, and friends, which can also set up a "virtuous cycle" of positive re-inforcement. 

It is a shame that people judge us by our appearance, and it's not fair, but it is the world in which we live.  We put on nice clean clothes for a job interview, do our hair, etc.  So, by extension, using botox to relieve stress and worry lines can be part of the process of feeling better and looking better.

Happiness has to come from within.  Beauty has to come from within.  But modern plastic surgery has the ability to bring the outer into sync with the inner.