If Botox 'relaxes' the muscles, will this make the rest of the face look more droopy with age?

I've been having Botox in my forehead for around 6 years now - I am 53. My question is …. if Botox 'relaxes' the muscles, will this make the rest of the face look more droopy with age? I have had the treatment administered by two aesthetic qualified nurses during this time but I wonder whether the latest nurse (a year with her) is confident about this work. I'd really like that smooth forehead look I used to get and wonder whether I should try another doctor/nurse.

Doctor Answers 5

Botox and the Aging Face

Botox is fabulous to help prevent the forehead and areas around the eyes from aging.  However, it will not correct the aging in the jowls or other areas of the face.  Sculptra injections can help correct these other areas of the face.  In addition treatments such as BBL or Thermage can help tighten the skin and give an overall facial rejuvenation.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in cosmetics, lasers, and facial injections.

New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Botox and droopyness

when done by an expert practitioner Botox/Dysport are safe molecules which can consistently give results.
warm regards

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Botox does not cause muscles to droop with age

Botox does not cause the muscles in the face to droop with age, but the natural aging process can cause muscles and skin to sag. Botulinum toxin injections relax muscle to create a smooth surface and diminish deep lines/wrinkles.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Botox is temporary

and will not make your face droop.  But continued aging will contribute to drooping as is what happens with everyone else.  I personally do not like paralyzing your whole forehead as your brows will inevitably droop until your muscle function returns. 

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

See A Cosmetic Dermatologist

You should be going to a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in facial cosmetic treatments such as neuromodulators, peels, lasers, and fillers.  You should get a full facial asessment and have a long term plan for anti-aging and wrinkle prevention, which typically includes other treaments besides neurotoxins such as fillers, peels, lasers and topical creams including sunscreen and serums.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.