Can Botox be administered without medical supervision?

Patients are receiving Botox injections in a local spa without a physician supervising or seeing the client or signing off on the procedure. Is this legal?

Botox without Medical Supervision

Unfortunately every week I see patients who consult me about improperly injected Restylane, Botox, or Juvederm.  For the safest and best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist who had been doing these injections for years.

You are in better hands with a surgeon who understands the muscles of the face. "Trust your face to a facial plastic surgeon".

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Administering Botox

Regardless of legality, it is not advisable to receive Botox injections from someone other than a qualified board certified medical professional. Botox injections are medical procedures and have the lowest risk of side effects when performed safely. It is very risky to visit a salon or day spa to receive Botox injections and faulty Botox injections can lead to unwanted effects such as eye droop or a funny facial expression.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Botox be administered without medical supervision

Sadly, the rules depend on the state you are in. In Nevada, there has to be a "medical director" for injectables but this person only needs to be within a "reasonable" driving distance. That does not mean on the premises, or really, even in the same city! Also in Nevada, you don't have to have any specific type of licensing to inject. As long as the "medical director" approves you, you are authorized to inject. I find that horrifying, but that is the state where I live. What is legal vs is what is good judgment can be very different things indeed.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox without a physician supervising

To the buyer beware........I would trust your instincts and go somewhere else.  This has become too common of a scenario.  Untrained personnel doing procedures without supervision.  They may not even have medical grade Botox.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

This might or might not be legal in Texas. You can review the state medical board site for your state. Regardless, this practice is unfortunate and becoming more and more common. It is always safest, regardless of the law, to have an onsite core specialty physician supervising medical treatments. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox injections at your local spa

It requires a physician signature to purchase Botox Cosmetic in the United States.

As far as who the injector is, laws on this vary from state to state.  Often times, legislation has not kept up with the rapid advance in technology.

Check with your state's department of health for more information.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS