Bump showing through thin skin after 1 year post-op. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had done my first rhinoplasty with ear cartilage to protect the extrusion at tip a year ago as I have a very thin skin. Bump shows through my nose tip and I can feel the sharp edge of the ear cartilage. I would like to know if time goes, will it be extrude? If I don't mind about the bump, will it be safe to leave it like this? And will sharp edge be soften over time? Thank you for your answer.

Nasal tip surgery in thin skin patients

Auricular cartilage grafts in the nasal tip have the risk of becoming palpable over time in thin skin individuals. I try not to place nasal tip grafts in very thin skin individuals due to this potential.  If I have to place a tip graft, auricular cartilage is certainly softer than septal cartilage and can be crushed enough so that the edges to not protrude and become palpable or visible over time.  Draping some temoralis fascia or other soft tissue over the graft can also help camouflage the tip.  The good news is that the graft will definitely not extrude like an implant tends to do and correction of the minor deformity can be performed as a quick procedure. Your tip looks pretty good!

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharp edge of cartilage at rhinoplasty tip

Thank you for your question. Most cartilage grafts placed at the nasal tip are crushed and softened .   It is unfortunate that you feel a sharp bump. This can be easily corrected in the office by removing the cartilage and crushing it and replacing it. Best of luck in your recovery !

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage bump

A cartilage bump can be refined by trimming it if it is palpable or showing through. Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Cartilaginous bumpAfter rhinoplasty

A cartilaginous Bump can be easily reduced by shaving it as a minor procedure in the office.A cartilage graft will not extrude but will continue to be pointy.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is safe but may become more visible

The graft will not extrude but as the soft tissue continues to thin around it, the graft will likely become more visible.  If that is your main complaint, it should be fairly easy to correct if you would be willing to undergo a revision.  Also, judging from your photo, I think you have medium to thick skin--not thin skin.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage grafts

Depending on the type of cartilage graft and what it was used for, this can be something that can be palpable and cause problems. If it is bothersome to you, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty can help. You may need it to be removed or revised. Best, MMT

Rhinoplasty

Unfortunately the bump will probably not go down at this point. The good news is that something like this
should not push through the skin.

A bump like this is typically correctable. I would recommend consulting with a surgeon who performs rhinoplasty on a regular basis to see if you are a candidate for a minor revision procedure.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Graft in Tip

Hi,

It probably wont soften anymore... If it bothers your it can be shaved down. To determine whether it would ever extrude, you would have to get examined in person.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS