Why wear compression gear after TT & Liposuction?

Why do they recommend wearing compression gear months after TT & Liposuction. Also TT foam to wear in between Does this keep your stomach flat?

Compression after TT & Liposuction

After a tummy tuck procedure and liposuction, it is necessary to wear a compression garment to help reduce postoperative swelling, promote healing, and contour your abdomen. An abdominal binder after a tummy tuck also supports the abdomen to prevent patients from straining. A compression garment is especially important after liposuction to allow fluid in the region to diminish and the loose skin to contract. Patients should ideally wear their support garment for 6 weeks following surgery. After 6 weeks, they can transition to wearing SPANX or another more comfortable support clothing. Following the postoperative guidelines specified by your board-certified plastic surgeon is essential to help your body heal and be happy with your results. Good luck in your research!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time

Agreed, wearing compression following liposuction, is essentially, with rare exceptions, always advocated for allowing for the skin and soft tissue swelling to decrease..

Compression

Compression garments help to reduce swelling  that occurs after tummy tuck and liposuction. Swelling persists for up to 6 months so garments help minimize contour irregularities while you heal. 
DrBurnett#realself100

Garments

The compression helps the skin reattach to the underlying tissue in a smooth and even outcome. It also hastens overall recover. They help with overall swelling and keeps the skin flat. Hope that helps.

During tummy tuck and liposuction empty space is created underneath the skin. It is crucial that the skin re attach to the muscles and fascia under the skin or the skin will appear loose and fluid may accumulate under the skin. Compression garments hold the skin tightly to the underlying tissues and helps prevent fluid accumulation (seroma) and loose skin.

Compression after abdominoplasty and lipoplasty

Using compression for cosmetic surgery is an extension of similar therapy for a variety of conditions. Think about the use of Ace wrap ( tensor bandage) for ankle swelling after sprains and many other conditions. 

Whether or not compression actually improves the results  of body contour surgery after short term use isn't really clear. My use of garments has diminished greatly over the years I have been in practice  I don't like doing things just because "that's the way I've always done it." In theory compression reduces the amount of swelling in liposuction by forcing fluid in the soft tissues back into circulation and in tummy tucks helps prevent fluid accumulation under the skin ( seroma) either with or without the use of drains. In practice, beyond the first two to three weeks compression may be of limited benefit and I encourage patients to wean themselves away from garments by a month, although some patients find they like the support garments give. Getting into a swimming pool  ( or preferably  the ocean or a clean fresh water lake)  puts the pressure of the water ( think about the pressure on your ears when you are only a few feet down) on the tissues and is also very effective "hydrotherapy"... I encourage beach vacations after only a couple of weeks.Furthermore, the forces of wound healing and scar shrinkage or the most powerful factors other than what was actually done at surgery in determining the final outcome, and compression contributes much less.  

My bottom line is I continue to use compression for a short period after surgery and try to eliminate it as soon as possible. Treatment however, is individualized. Best wishes and be sure to consult a certified plastic surgeon in your area

Benjamin Gelfant, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon