Do I have a weak chin? (photos)

I have always been very self conscious about my profile, but do you believe in my case I need something as drastic as a chin implant? Or is there an alternative method to a better jaw through exercise or something along those lines?

Unfortunately there is no exercise that you could do to enhance your profile. Genioplasty would definitely help you liking your profile.

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

chin implant candidate for weak chin profile

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant  can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes to give the proper augmentation to the chin. Chin implants are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia.  Jaw exercises will  Give no improvement. For many examples of more information, please see the video and blink below

Weak chin

Your profile show a small chin, relative to the rest of your face. This creates an imbalance. The bony part of your chin is undersized. The easiest way to correct that is with a silastic chin implant. I use an intraoral route, without facial scars. It can also be done under local anesthesia.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Do I have a weak chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

There sadly are no exercises that will provide the appropriate amount of chin forward projection that you require. You can always use a dermal filler but this will need to be repeated and may not be the most "cost effective" method of chin augmentation for the long term.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant?

It appears as though you may benefit from a chin implant. I recommend consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Possible chin implant

If your jawline bothers you, a chin implant can help. Exercises don't.
That said, make sure that the problem isn't actually with the JAW. Do you have a big overbite? If so, you may actually be a candidate for a jaw alignment surgery. Yes that is even a bigger deal. A chin can substitute but make sure you see someone who actually looks at your teeth. No facial plastic surgeon will look at your teeth, and most plastic surgeons won't either. Anyone will accept your money for surgery, make sure that they're a good person first.