Voluma or Fat transfer - deflated cheek.

I've had an issue because of a doctor's carelessness, of left side deflated cheek area. I've been having fillers for 5 yrs just to correct that area to no avail....I'm wondering if fat or Voluma would be better because I think i've found the right injector...FINALLY! however, I want to know which lasts longer and what direction I should go to have this corrected once and for all!

Voluma

Personally, I love Voluma for volume loss in the cheek/mid-face. The results typically last for 2 years and it doesn't require multiple treatments like you would need with fat transfer. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Considerations between Voluma or fat transfer in the face

Voluma is an injectable hyaluronic product that is long lasting, safe, predictable and effective for volume restoration in the cheeks and face.   Fat transfer is also an excellent option and is longer lasting but requires fat harvest, processing and significantly more downtime due to swelling and bruising.  Fat however also has unique benefits in improving aging skin in the recipient area and in longevity but is considerable more technique dependent.  Adding PRP (platelet rich plasma) can also increase the survival and benefits of fat grafting.  The most important consideration, as with any aesthetic procedure, is finding a board certified physician in the core specialty that has proper training, credentials and experience. 

Frank Barone, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Voluma is a great filler to place in the cheek to help volumize the area. It can last up to 18 months to 2 years, but some patients may need a touch up after 1 year. Fat transfer is permanent alternative to fillers and

does not require touch ups. I recommend speaking with an expert about your concerns and desires. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Voluma is a phenomenal option for increasing the volume in the cheeks. In fact, it is the first and only facial filler approved by the FDA for the non-surgical treatment of the cheeks that gently lifts three areas of the cheeks simultaneously. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma or Fat Transfer

I prefer Voluma to Fat transfer given Voluma's duration of effect approaching 2 years plus...you do not need to overfill as you do with fat transfer. plus much simpler procedure. 

I recommend you to discuss specific issues regarding your questions with your dermatologist. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting deflated cheeks fat or voluma

As a board certified plastic surgeon it is nice to have options for patients seaching for solutions in facial rejuvenation. Deflation of the face is due to multiple reasons and requires choosing a volumizer to achieve facial balance.  The convenience of Voluma injections in the office with immediate results is favorable for patients not wanting surgical fat injections or cheek implants. It is important to inject enough Voluma for correction of the cheek so that it lasts up to 2 years. I believe Voluma is best office injectable for cheek augmentation.

I also perform fat injections mixed with platelet rich plasma that should last longer than voluma. I perform fat transfers to deflated areas that helps shape, balance and rejuvenate the face. I believe fat grafts also help improve the quality of overlying skin.  So the consultation in discussing these options with your provider is most important in determining what is a correct solution for facial  deflation of the cheeks.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Deflated cheek

I love Voluma for deflated cheeks! I performed fat grafts in the past and have now switched to voluma. It is easy to inject and very predictable. It also seems to last in the cheek area for 2-3 years. Fat grafting frequently has to be repeated to get the right result as some of the fat will not take.  Multiple procedures are needed more often than not. It can also lead to lumpiness that is not dissolvable.  I feel the benefit to risk ratio is best for Voluma. I hope this helps and best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat or Fillers--Cheek Augmentation

I tell people if you are doing a procedure and you have a good fat grafting surgeon who does gentle extraction using water and adds PRP, you should do the fat grafting which will give you great results. You can then do a touch up (if needed) with fillers like voluma, lyft, or radiesse.  Sculptra is great long term for collagen production. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Longest lasting filler is Bellafill

I would steer you towards Bellafill. It is a predictable, long lasting filler. Voluma lasts about a year in my experience. Fat is unpredictable, and might not take well. It also requires a 2nd site to harvest the fat. I'd go with Bellafill.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

How best to Volumize the face

Thank you for your question. Voluma is a great filler to place in the malar (cheek) region to help volumize this area, and restore a more youthful contour. In studies, it can last up to 18 months - 2 years, however I find most patients need a bit of a touch up after 1 year. Fat grafting is a great, permanent alternative to fillers - however typically when fat is injected, more than is needed is placed with the anticipation that approximately 65-70% will remain. So, occasionally patients require more than one session to achieve their optimal results. But, as said, fat grafting is permanent and does not (typically) require touch ups. Also, most of the time this can be performed in the office with local anesthetic. Fat is typically taken from the abdomen or flanks. If you found someone you like, have an in-depth conversation about your concerns, and your desire for permanent results. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon