I'm having a tummy tuck. Do I have to clear up the rash before surgery?

and I get rashes in my fold on my stomach. Do I have to clear up the rash before my doctor does surgery? I lost 75 pounds and the extra skin always gives me rashes. I just don't want the skin to break down after surgery. I know I should of asked my doctor, but I forgot to put it on my list of questions when I saw him, and the next time i will see him is the day of surgery Thank you

Your surgeon knows

The best answer will come from your surgeon. I’m sure you can call their office and ask. They may also want to check it out before your surgery to see how bad it is, and if it puts you at an increased risk of developing an infection after surgery.

Pre Op Questions

Thank you for your question. You should be able to reach your surgeon or their nurse to ask important questions at any time before your surgery. I recommend that you contact them as they know your situation the best.

Take care

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Being able to clear the rash would be best.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.  This is always the right answer, even though the realself moderators think this not an answer.

I'm having a tummy tuck. Do I have to clear up the rash before surgery

clearing that rash, if possible,is good to do before the surgery. Proceeding with an active rash puts you at a higher risk of wound infection, but it is a problem that is very hard to deal with if you have significant skin hanging and the skin is always moist

Julio Garcia, MD

Rash and Surgery

You should definitely call your surgeon's office and discuss it with him. Doctors want to know all the information before going into surgery. If you do not contact him, you risk having the surgery cancelled on the surgical day.

Call him.

Arthur Shektman, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Rash and surgery

This is something that you should discuss with your surgeon and you will probably require to be seen in person.

Abdominoplasty/tummy surgery

Ideally getting the skin in as best condition prior to surgery is ideal.. indeed, weight loss does cause the skin to become loose, and rashes may occur; I would check with your surgeon certainly to make sure that there is no active infection of the area, which would be a reason to postpone surgery

Samuel Lin, MD, FACS

Skin Rash & Tummy Tuck surgery

Without seeing you, hard to say. I would suggest that you call your surgeon and let he or she know about the rash. Only your surgeon can make the call as to whether or not it will impact your procedure.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon