Does my tummy tuck look infected? (photos)

I got my tummy tuck aug 30 . They took out one drain the following tuesday and friday the oyher fall out on its own they put me on antibiotics because my skin was red . Possible infection. What do you guys think im 12 days out now and beside red and the drain that fell still draining is that normal? Im so nervous

Tummy Tuck

While you have some redness it sounds like things are under control.  Stay in close contact with your surgeon so he or she can monitor you carefully.  (Colors in photographs are often not accurate for us to give you an opinion.  In person is the best).I think talking about hyperbaric oxygen from a photograph by a physician over the internet is extreme.  You had a challenging type of abdominoplasty and will need to work carefully with your own doctor.  Try to do that and stay off internet sites so as not to get too many opinions that might not be accurate and muddle up your post op care and make you and your surgeon a little crazy in the process.

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Compromised blood supply

This area is more prone to compromised blood supply than infection.  The flap is a random pattern one that depends on blood supply from distant areas.  I would possible explore hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Abdominoplasty infection

Jacklyn
It does appear that you have an infection.  Follow up with your Plastic surgeon.  They may culture the fluid draining and continue you on antibiotics.
Best of luck.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Infected tummy tuck

Thanks for reaching out.  Yes, it does look like you have an infection.  You should go see your plastic surgeon right away to be treated.  If left alone this can turn serious.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Draining after Tummy Tuck

I do not use drains any more with this procedure and have switched from pain pumps to Exparel which is a long acting injectable pain medicine like Lidocaine or Marcaine but lasts for three days. This is injected all along the muscle and skin to provide pain relief. This is termed the Pain-less, Drainless Tummy Tuck. If you go to a doctor who uses #drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. It also may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser. If you feel that evaluation or treatment of your procedure area is needed then it would be good to visit your surgeon to ensure that healing is progressing well. Good luck!

Infection?

I think the best person to address your issues is your surgeon.  If he put you on antibiotics then he was concerned that you had an infection.  Good luck.