Want a TT but I had a bout with a blood clot. Is it safe?

Assessing blood clots

Thank you for the question. In order to guarantee the most reliable and individualized medical advice, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination. Superficial blood clots should not prevent you from having a tummy tuck, but the answer to your question will depend on the type and location of blood clots. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Tummy Tuck and blood clots

Thanks for your question. The first part of this answer is focused on your past history, do you know why you have had blood clots in the past?  A full and complete history with information from the hematologists and/or vascular surgeons who might have cared for you in the past is the starting point for any decision regarding the safety of having a tummy tuck.  A board certified plastic surgeon should gather that information first before deciding whether or not surgery is 'safe' for you.  With that having been said, tummy tucks are performed on people who have had a history of blood clots, but there are additional medical precautions and treatment that may need to be added so that your surgery can be performed as safely as possible.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

HI, a very good question. When a patient has had a thromboembolism the risk of developing the same complication again is very high (75%). Is an hematic problem and a cardiovascular surgeon have to evaluate you prior  any surgery to give you the ok. I do not recommend any patient with such clinical history to undergo an elective procedure as "plastic surgery" is, but to keep  such risk for necessary surgical procedures only.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If you obtain clearance from a hematologist, then a tummy tuck is certainly possible.  You may need anticoagulation after surgery. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a Tummy Tuck.It also depends on where the blood clot was. You should check with the surgeon of your choice. 

Safety

A history of blood clots is not always a contraindication for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) however, you need to ask your primary care doctor for clearance and make sure your plastic surgeon is aware. There are medications and other precautions that may be used to help prevent a clot after surgery. Best wishes!

Tummy tuck - but have had blood clots

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Assuming your blood clots were in the deep veins of the legs, you still can have a tummy tuck but will need heparin or other anti-coagulation after surgery.
  • Be sure to tell your surgeon the details of your blood clots -
  • Clotting of superficial veins is of much less concern.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS