Trim or wedge technique for labiaplasty? (photos)

I have wanted to get a labiaplasty for some time now and have been doing a lot of research on the these two techniques. It seems that the trim method takes off a lot more skin which I would prefer but I'm scared of the scar it will leave and that it will make my vagina look like it has been obviously operated on. Which method would give me the best results?

Posterior Wedge Approach

Other surgeons performing labiaplasty may only trim the labia, or use other techniques that can result in misshapen vaginal lips or worse: loss of sensation or pain. By contrast, I prefer a surgical technique employing state-of-the-art surgical methodology to remove small flaps from the labia tissue, reducing the size of the labia minora (the inner lips) and greatly improving the vaginal appearance while at the same time preserving vaginal sensation. The most common technique I use is the Posterior Wedge Approach, which not only maintains the sensation but typically has a pleasing cosmetic result as well. A hoodectomy may be recommended at the time of your consultation as this often adds to the cosmetic improvement but may also significantly improve intercourse and enhance orgasms as it exposes the clitoral node. Good luck with your procedure.

Posterior Wedge Approach

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Labiaplasty technique

As you may already know, there are two main labiaplasty techniques available with some modifications. First, the most important factor is the desired appearance of the labia and the clitoral hood, which should be communicated with your surgeon. Once it is determined, it should not matter which techniques is used as long as the procedure is performed by an experienced surgeon. Generally, if you prefer the more natural appearance with preservation of the original edges of the labia, the wedge technique would be preferable. Alternatively, if you opt for the more tailored appearance with "new fresher" looking edges of the labia, the trim approach would be more suitable. As to the clitoral hood reduction, it usually entails removal of excessive tissue of the clitoral hood and occasionally "lifting" the tissue overlying the clitoris. Again, if you convey the desired outcome clearly with an experienced surgeon, the surgical result should be satisfactory. 

Yvonne Wolny, MD, FACOG

Labiaplasty technique

Yvonne Wolny, MD, FACOG

Trim or wedge technique for labiaplasty?

I use a technique that puts the incision away from the exposed edge of the labia minor and maintains a natural external appearance. This prevents exposure of a potential sensitive scar during intercourse and allows for precise and natural labia reduction.

Trim or Wedge?

I prefer the posterior wedge procedure for a buried scar in a less conspicuous location & more aesthetic result.

Trim or Wedge?

I prefer the trim technique which allows more complete removal of excess labial skin including adjacent to clitoral hood but leaving hood intact. More important I use the Ultrapulse CO2 incisional laser with a 0.2mm beam which eliminates the need for crushing clamps as is done with scalpel techniques.

Labiaplasty of Labia Minora

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. There is a wide variation in the appearance and size of a woman's genital anatomy.  Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, including the wedge and trim techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.

I would recommend consultation with an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.   Some surgeons offer virtual evaluation through encrypted services, which is an option prior to traveling to meet the surgeon for consultation.

There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. Cosmetic Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.

Best of luck.  

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty of Labia Minora

Best of luck.  

Trim vs. Wedge Technique for Labiaplasty

Hi Kat,

Thank you for your question. My advice to you is to focus on the expertise of the surgeon rather than the actual technique performed. A doctor who specializes in labioplasty and has performed an abundant amount of procedures will be more likely to give you results that are tailored to your body. Every patient is different, so it is important to go in for a consultation in order to speak with the doctor about your goals and expected results following surgery. Remember that this procedure should last for the rest of your life, so it is important to be cautious and smart when choosing your doctor. Many patients have learned the hard way that cheaper is not always better.

I also recommend that you look at before and after pictures. This way you can compare your anatomy with others who are similar to you so that you can have an idea of what to expect following surgery. I hope this helps to answer your question.

David Matlock, MD, MBA, FACOG

Hi Kat,

David Matlock, MD, MBA, FACOG

Labiaplasty

I prefer the posterior wedge technique. It can take off a lot of the excess skin, but it leaves you with a more aesthetic appearance of the labia. Click on the link below for details.

Labiaplasty

Labiaplasty. To Trim or to Wedge; That Is The Question..!

Hello "Kat,"  There are pros & cons for both methods (see Web reference below for additional information on V-wedge vs. linear resection). That said, from your photo (of course, a more thorough exam would be necessary prior to decision-making...) I think you would be an ideal candidate for a "Y" modification of a V-wedge technique, removing all the redundant folds of labial skin as well as decompressing the size of your rather robust clitoral hood, leaving you with a more"natural" look than could be obtained with a linear modification. An important caveat is to make sure you consult with surgeons who have much experience with V-Wedge modifications, including "V-Y." Your robust labia can lend themselves to an aesthetic outcome, but only at the hands of an expert (even if it means "travelling...") A very "trim" appearance can be obtained with a Wedge from an experienced genital plastic surgeon!

Warm Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Warm Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labia and clitoral hood reductions

Your labia minora and clitoral hood are enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be dramatically decreased. I have done it over 250 times with excellent results.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Labia and clitoral hood reductions

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY