What are the best treatments for scar color and size reductions? (photos)

i had a breast augmentation done a little over a year ago. i love the results however my areolas [where the incision was placed] were left with noticeable scarring; one more so than the other. i am very interested in opinions on what treatments will be more beneficial for my concern. i am also open to scar camouflage tattooing and am interested in recommendations/referrals to artists who do this or more information regarding it as i am having a hard time finding things on my own.

Scarring around areoal

thanks for your question.  This is a challenging area.  the color between the areola and the surrounding breast skin can leave a variety of scar results.  Some very well hidden, while others can be more obvious due to this change in color in between these two skin areas.  I am happy you are satisfied with the overall results. As for the skin, its very difficult as collagen scar maturation continues to change and improve for 12-18 months.  If you are past this time point the likelihood of improvement is small.  

Most skin lightening or darkening creams and/or wound gels will not significantly help.  Of course you can consider tattoo as you stated for color match.  You can also re-cut it again with surgery at the junction in an effort to improve, but there is no guarantee over time it won't recur. It may improve, but scarring is not just the result of the surgeon's technique, but a complex process that is effected both by your body, post op care and your individual family genetics.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Areola scar

The widened scar may be amenable to revision. The one with the lights scar( which is normal) may be treated with tattooing.

What are the best treatments for scar color and size reductions?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided infromation as well...
Talk to your cosmetic surgeon. Before trying any method for reducing scar tissue, discuss your options with a cosmetic surgeon. He may have a standard practice to minimize scar tissue after breast implants. Follow his recommendations whenever possible. Use a silicone-based bandage or sheeting. The American Academy of Dermatology says that silicone bandages and sheetings can actually reduce the thickness of scars. Daily use is necessary for best results. You can also find silicone in creams and gels that may provide similar effects on scar tissue. hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Scar revision

Sometimes periareolar scar revisions can be done to improve the scar especially if its over a year out from surgery but it is impossible to guarantee that the scar will be any better. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help. Best of luck, MMT

Scar Improvement

Your scars appear to be mature (turned white) and you would be best served in my opinion with a scar revision.
This can likely be performed in your surgeons office under local anesthesia if he or she has that option available.

Tatooing of the scar with your skin tones is not likely to be a really good option in comparison to scar revision.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Breast scar therapy

I would always recommend starting with scar excision and repeating the closure. The first time the incision was closed, your skin was under a great deal of tension. Now that the skin has relaxed the scar should heal better under low tension conditions. If you are concerned with the color of scar tissue tattoo could be performed. Best of luck!