My doctor charged me 150 dollars for a bra that, after looking up, is only 65 dollars. Is this over pricing common practice?

Charge for bra

One needs to evaluate the total cost of a procedure and after care. Some doctors offices will do an À la cart version others will do all inclusive. 
I once sold a scar treatment in the office  for patient convenience  until I found an online retail price for less than i could get it. I did not want to seem to take advantage so I stopped carrying that brand. The take home is that the doctor may not be getting that low price you found and just trying to be accommodating. I always look for the best in people. 

Overcharge for Garment

Thank you for your question. It is up to the practice to determine the pricing on their surgical garments. That seems like a high up-charge but we do not know their cost on the product. Best to do your homework and decide if the convenience of purchasing the garment at your Physicians office is worth it or not to you. 

My bra cost $150!

Thanks for the question.  The simple answer is NO!  As always, do your homework, ask the correct questions, and buyer beware!
Sorry that you had to ask this question.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgery

Overcharging for bras

Thanks for your inquiry and some practice do charge for garments as a source of income and revenue.  In my practice we generally provide the first bra, girdle, binder, etc after a procedure at no additional charge. Good Luck.  

Can a doctor charge me 150 dollars for a bra?

Your doctor can charge as much or as little as he or she wants.  It's really up to you to do your homework on whether its worth it or not.  As a rule of thumb, you should be careful about underpaying or overpaying for anything.  Most doctors provide immediate post-surgical garments complimentary with the procedure.  In general, I have found that fancy post-surgical bras are unnecessary in most cases.  I recommend that my patients wear a comfortable sports bra and that's all they need and the end up looking great.   

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

My doctor charged me 150 dollars for a bra that is only 65 dollars. Is this pricing common

Thank you for your question.  Many practices will alter their pricing of garments as an additional source of revenue and I am sorry to hear of your markup.  I provide a single all-inclusive cost for breast augmentation patients that includes a postoperative garment but each practice will handle their fees differently, some preferring an a la carte method.

Overpriced bra

While all plastic surgeons are free to set their own policies regarding bras and other post surgical garments, in my practice we always provide post op bras for free (included in the cost of the surgery). At the very least your doctor should have informed you up front (before surgery) of all costs – including the cost of the bra. That way you would have had the option of purchasing the same or similar at a much lower cost. If your doctor did not tell you about the cost of the bra in advance, you should mention it to him, and I think you would be justified in asking for a partial refund. If he did mention it to you, I do not think you have much recourse at this point. Don't be shy about it. Your irritation is justified.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lots of docs charge high fees for basic stuff in their office which I think is rude. I give surgical and postop bras to my patients for free or in other words it's included in the cost of surgery. That's pretty shady IMHO and it better have gold leaf on it.

Cost of surgical garments

Great question.  Each office often chooses to price their garments differently.  Most places will charge what the garments cost or slightly above to cover the extra cost of garments that are provided when they break or fit poorly.  We include the garment with the cost of surgery since it is a small cost relative to everything else.  The short answer to your question is that yes, it is fairly common to have some amount of up charge to most items used for surgical recovery.  If you are bothered by this I would touch base with your doctors office and communicate that.  I am sure they would like to know how some of their patients feel but may also communicate what their reasoning is which may change the way you feel.
Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Thanks for your question.  As Plastic Surgeons, we all have different approaches to how we run our businesses.  Some charge for every item and service and some have more of a universal cost that covers most everything.  Personally, my patients all go home with a bra that I provide free of cost.  Granted, it is not a super fancy bra, as they usually get slightly bloody.  Once healed, I encourage my patients to buy their own bras that they feel most comfortable with...

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon