I'm 1 month post gynecomastia surgery, glandular tissue removal and liposuction. When can I expect a final result?

At this point, immediately after the surgery, I noticed immediate flattening of my chest and the change in contour was significant. Bruising was severe. It is now 9/30/15, which is exactly 6 weeks later. I have noticed that my chest has gotten fattier, particularly around the nipple area. I spoke to my doctor and he said that it takes a VERY long time to see the final result. My only concern is that I feel like my skin is becoming fattier instead of tightening and becoming flatter.

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

6 months

That is the timeline I tell my patients.  Swelling needs to subside and the tissues need to heal.  Your skin will tighten.  There are many pieces at play here. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia recovery time?

Hi stutov82,
Thanks for the post. It would be helpful had you posted photos. That being said, final results are measured in months not weeks. I tell my patients final results can take approximately 6 months. I would stay in close communication with your surgeon.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

At 6 weeks you are likely still swollen. It can take 6  months or longer for things to settle. Be patient with the results.

When can I see final results for gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. II can not comment without seeing pictures. Generally it takes 4-6 months to see final results.

Your question can not be answered without photos

Your description is insufficient information to answer your question.  Before and present photos are needed to give any meaningful advice.
Generally it can take 4-6 months to get final result from gynecomastia surgery.  You probably are just swollen at this time.

Vasdev Rai, MD