Can I do a successful breast augmentation after radiation therapy 8 years ago?

I had a breast cancer recurrence since then I have had 12 weeks of chemotherapy . Now I am schedule for bilateral mastetictomy with breast implant because I don't extra fat . What are my options I am looking to go big because my breast size is 38 C bra cup. Thanks

Implants post Radiation therapy

Radiated skin will lead to a higher chance of contracture (painful and distorted scar around an implant).  That is the unavoidable conclusion based on published studies.  You can go with implants (with or without expansion first) and see how it goes, or consider using a latissimus flap.  These are very complex decisions that should be discussed with your experienced Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes for your health.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

Sorry to hear about the recurrence.. generally speaking there are considerations combining an implant based reconstruction with prior irradiation.. historically, capsular contracture is increased in prior irradiation and other forms of breast reconstruction may be better suited...

Breast Augmentation after mastectomy

Great question!  Every Breast Reconstructive Surgeon has his/her own treatment algorithm.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a highly debated subject.  Part of the answer depends on the quality of your skin and soft tissue after the radiation.  I highly recommend you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in person and that will give you much better advice for this particular subject.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD