Submental Fat Removal? (photos)

My entire life I've had this patch of fat underneath my chin. I would love to have it removed, but am unsure which procedure will produce the best results. I've had consultations for Kybella, and CoolSculpting, however, I'm told the results aren't guarenteed. I'd like some other professional opinions on how I can remove the fat and acheive a more defined jaw line.

For a case like yours I believe Kybella would be an excellent option.  This is a straightforward office procedure with little to no downtime.  

Kybella vs CoolMini Coolsculpting

Both are nice options to treat the submental fat/double chin. See a office that does both and they will help you choose the best option for you.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Both treatments work.  Based on your photos Kybella seems to be an option straight away.  An in person exam would be required of course.

Kybella Dissolves Double Chins

Thank you for your question. The other physicians you spoke with are correct; no procedure is guaranteed as results can vary considerably by individual. However, offering both treatments I can tell you that Kybella allows you to customize the treatment under the chin better than the coolmini., I have had very good success in using Kybella to dissolve double chins likes yours. Please be sure you consult with a board-certified dermatologist about using Kybella to eliminate your submental fat.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella more appropriate for you

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint. Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, you might be a better candidate for Kybella because most of the fat seems to isolated to the submental region. Hope this helps

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. We perform both Kybella and Coolmini for submental fat reduction and we have found that both are efficacious treatment methods. There are several factors we look for when determining candidacy such as fat, laxity, goals, expectations, preferred downtime, and overall health. I would recommend an in person exam where all of these treatments are offered.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella candidate

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. Based on the photographs, you would be an excellent candidate for Kybella.   The important thing is to find a qualified injector who has the experience and the availability of other alternatives for you to have your full treatment options explain to you.

I think Kybella would be a great option for you. Kybella is a great minimally invasive option to get rid of your double chin and as a result, helping to define the jawline (submental area). It is an injectable product that can be used to help your body rid itself of fat cells that form under the chin which would require 2-4 sessions for optimal results.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella. Both appear to be options for you. To be sure what is best, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella is a great options for you

After reviewing your pictures, you look like a great candidate for Kybella. It is an amazing non-surgical procedure that will get rid of that unwanted fat underneath your chin. Although you have already consulted with a physician, at this point I recommend consulting with a new physician that makes you feel very comfortable and confident that Kybella will give you the results you want; because it can! Kybella is a new treatment, but there are a lot of board certified plastic surgeons and dermatologists using it that have seen great results for their patients. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD