Can't stop thinking about if I should get bigger implants - do you recommend against advice to do so?

I am schedualing to have implants done and i want to know if i keep thinking in my head i want to go to the bigger ones i did not choose because the doctor suggested i looked a bit top heavy and in ways i agreed. Should i go with my gut so i dont regret i am getting ones that you could say are large c small d the others were larger. Also is there in between size that could work?

Implant sizing

Here is a bit of a different answer.  Does your doctor have a computer simulation to demonstrate what the different implant sizes will look like?  We have a virtual reality simulation (i.e., with VR glasses) and also a computer program to give you a sense of what the different implant sizes look like...  Best of luck.

Large Enough Breast Implants

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation. For a successful breast augmentation, is important that you feel comfortable with the size implant you choose. However, an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon can provide important advice on the appropriate size implant for your frame and desired results. I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns about implant size. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

More information please

We do not have any information about your current size or the size of the planned implants. Your doctor has the advantage of examining you and discuss your expectations. I would suggest another visit to your surgeon before surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Going a little larger with implants

I believe there is a limit to how far you can go and still have the breasts look natural. Also using the tissue based system to help you select the right implants is important for long term as well as the short term look and complications. I would discuss with your surgeon again before deciding, but I certainly see women that wished they had gone bigger and those that went too big so be honest with what you are looking for and you both will come up with a good solution.

W. John Bull, MD

Size of implants

Most surgeons approach breast augmentation similarly as far as the initial consultation is concerned, but there are certain nuances from one surgeon to the next. In my opinion,the fine art of breast augmentation is a combination of artistic eye as well as objective science and precise measuring. The only person who can answer that question is your surgeon. This is because, he or she has examined you and likely taken certain breast measurements. In addition, he or she probably had a discussion with you about a certain "look" that you are trying to achieve with implants. It is a combination of all of these factors that will determine whether you can safely undergo implants that are larger than what you initially decided. If you are having second thoughts about size, you should talk with your surgeon to finalize any concerns you have about it.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Should my implants be larger?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

I am so sorry but an on-line consultant can't answer your very reasonable question because one can't examine you and discuss the pros and cons of going larger. If however a larger implant will fit you and you feel that is what you want - trust your gut. It is not uncommon for women to wish they had gone larger - just be sure it is not too large for your frame. So return to your surgeon, try on sizers again and be sure of your choice. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Going for bigger implants

As surgeons, we assist you in choosing an implant that is more tailored to your breast characteristics in order to provide natural looking breasts. The more you deviate from the proper fit, the more fake your breasts will look.

Tissue-based planning takes into account the effects of implants on tissues over time, risks of excessive stretching, excessive thinning, visible or palpable implant edges, visible traction rippling, ptosis (sagging), and breast tissue wasting.

To determine the implant size, breast measurements must be made: 1) base width of the existing breast tissue, 2) breast skin stretch, and 3) Nipple-to-inframammary fold distance. The combination of these measurements will help determine tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts.

These measurements also provide a range of size to choose from and as long as you remain within that range, there should not be a risk to your long-term results.

Don't forget that the profile also has an impact on the breast looks. A high profile implant will provide a more rounder look with more filling in the upper-pole of the breast - top heavy. If you want a natural look, it would be beneficial to go with a moderate profile.

All this being said, share all your motivations for surgery, expectations and goals with complete honesty to avoid miscommunication and post-operative concerns/regrets. Be as specific as you can about what you like regarding your breasts and what you don't like. If you trust your surgeon and their judgment and the decision-making method used to choose the implant size, then you should be in good hands.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Proportionate Augmentation

It can be easy to get carried away with sizing. Your Plastic Surgeon has experience and knowledge to help you with your choice. It may be helpful to try on rice sizers at home. My patients also find it helpful to try on implant sizers in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of the size. Have someone take photos of you wearing them so you can see your whole body and proportions.

All the best

Choosing Implant Size

This is a great question because I think it is a common concern of patients when choosing breast augmentation surgery.  There are many factors that play into the choice of implant size based on your physical exam, lifestyle, and goals.  In the end, the choice does come down to personal preference with the guidance of your surgeon to help clarify what the long term tradeoffs might be in choosing too large or too small an implant for your frame or breast shape.  Look at photos of patients with body types and breast size similar to your own and find results that are closest to the result you desire, and share these with your surgeon.  A picture really is worth a thousand words!  Also, different implant profiles can impact the look you get significantly without increasing volume and may be worth discussing further with your surgeon. Doing your homework before the surgery and talking through with your surgeon any questions or concerns you have will increase the chances of complete satisfaction with your result.  Good luck!