When to stop draining myself?

I got a liposuction on Wednesday 10/18, first to 2 days I have massage done one of the incision was close so they opened to have liquid comes out, now I'm back home there is some liquid coming out but my incision is closing I been opened to the liquid out is not the same amount as the beginning but there is something coming out

Draining?

You should talk with your surgeon to see what he prefers. I do not routinely have patients forcibly express fluid from their incisions.

Draining

Hi,

Thank you for your post. After Liposuction you should only drain for the first 24hrs. I would let the incisions close. I would not recommend having anyone besides your surgeon opening them. This can cause infection and additional scaring of the port sites. Please follow up with your plastic surgeon if you have any questions or concerns. I would also recommend wearing a binder or garment 24/7 to keep the swelling down. 

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Managing drainage after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Drainage after liposuction should stop after 1-2 days.
  • I suggest you contact your surgeon to discuss how to manage things
  • I would not want a patient of mine opening her liposuction incision to try to force out drainage as it is likely to lead to infection - so follow your surgeon's advice. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Drainage

I would assume that the drainage coming from your incisions is combination of swelling fluid and blood, which is very normal, especially if the wounds were not closed.  Some surgeons close these incisions, others leave them open.  The main disadvantage leaving them open as you have pointed out is that your wounds are still draining several days out.  You should be fine, but you should contact your surgeon if anything does not make sense to you or you feel that there is a problem.  Best of luck.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon