Severely sun damaged skin (Photo)

I'm a 45 year old woman who is a past sun fanatic. In the past year or so I've noticed my skin severely breaking down, no surprise given the abuse from the years of sun tanning. Is there any procedure that will help reverse or diminish the crepey/wrinkley skin on my chest, legs, arms, hands and even feet? Would Fraxel or Ultherapy be of any help? It's depressing to know I can no longer comfortably wear shorts, t'shirts or even a bathing suit in public again.

Fraxel Can Repair Sun-Damaged Skin on Body

Fraxel lasers can indeed help repair some of the sun damage on your body and also stimulate the skin to produce new collagen, which will help it maintain elasticity. Consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss Fraxel and also a skin-care regimen that will let you take control of your aging process so that you feel comfortable in summer clothes again.

San Diego Dermatologist

Multiple segmental treatments with Fractional laser possible

You have large areas of sun damage, and yes, treatments are possible. Off the face, Fraxel Co2, i.e. Fraxel Re:Pair has to be used in low density setting. My suggestion is that you combine topical such as high dose tretinoin and segmental laser. You will require multiple sessions over a course of 12 months. Aim for a segment at a time. Improvements are possible if you are motivated. My choice - Fractional Co2 given the amount of laxity over Fraxel 1550 and other wavelengths. 1927 will give you good decrease in pigmentation, especially if combined with IPL, but not the wrinkles. All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser DermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel/ Halo for Sundamaged Skin

Fraxel will definitely help with resurfacing and improve your skin.  Sciton's Halo is also a great option for treating sun damaged skin.  Multiple treatments will be needed with both types of lasers and there will be some downtime but overall great results will be achieved if you have patience.  Be sure to go to a reputable and an accredited medical provider who has experience with these two machines.  Hope this helps!   Remember to wear your sunscreen daily.  

Grant Stevens, MD

Extensive sun damage on extremities

These are very large surface areas to treat. Topical therapy with Environ products is what we recommend and begin with body peels. If not happy, RF devices which are superficial such as Exilis or Venus Freeze might help, but you need several treatments to get improvements.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Treatments for sun damaged skin

You should be initially be examined by a cosmetic dermatologist to make sure that you do not have any skin cancer.  He/she can then recommend appropriate procedures and products that can help reverse your sun damage and prevent additional damage.  
Sun protection is the most important treatment.  You may be a candidate for photodynamic therapy with Levulan or Metvix, Fraxel DUAL laser, IPL or chemical peels. Often a combination of these treatments, along with creams such as tretinoin, can significantly improve sun damage.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist