Rhinoplasty or tip refinement advice near Boston? (Photos)

I have always felt my nose was too wide for my face and my nose wouldn't overpower the rest of my space so much if the tip was more refined. I love the profile of my nose, but would like a slightly more refined tip that better suits my face. Is what I'm interested a realistic goal? One thing that's extremely important is to not look like I had surgery, but rather my face matured slightly. Would this be possible with just a tip refinement? Any doctors near Boston MA you would recommend?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Refining the nasal tip.

Nasal shape is created by 2 things:   The size and shape of the cartilage and bone of your nose and the thickness of the skin of your nose.  To refine your nasal tip, the cartilage which gives your tip shape could be trimmed so it is not as full, and shaped with sutures so the contour is better.  To maintain nasal balance and proportions some narrowing of the upper portion of your nose could be done.  This would not change your profile but would keep the proper nasal lines and proportions.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation. 

Refinement

What you wish may certainly be possible.  However, I think the tip of your nose also sticks our a bit too far.  You should have a consultation.  What is most important is balance and a natural look. I have attached a relative link below.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement

Hello c_ray,

You have a good eye. Making the nose smaller and refined will likely bevery attractive.  The top of your nose does look good so there may be nothing to do there.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are My Nasal Surgery Goals Reasonable?

Your tip can be narrowed and refined. It is important that all parts of the nose are balanced after the surgery, especially if one has a rhinoplasty limited to just the tip. You should consider narrowing the slightly wide bridge. You can achieve a natural, non-surgical looking result if you choose an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.

Nasal issue

Sometimes a tip pasty can be performed alone. If your nose appears very wide, then other maneuvers may need to be incorporated.  

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. A tip-plasty will narrow the tip cartilages, however the nose will probably look out of balance at that point, therefore a full rhinoplasty is required. To narrow the bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. For many examples and more information, please see the video and the link below

Ti[ rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty

Dear c_ray:

Bringing your tip into a more harmonious position with the rest of your face is a very realistic goal.   There are other factors that will affect how much of a refinement you will get, such as the thickness of your skin overlying the nasal tip.  But you are right - most of the time, less is more (and natural) with facial plastic surgery.  Make sure to find a board-certified surgeon who performs rhinoplasty regularly.

Good Luck!

Dr. E

Waleed Ezzat, MD FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide nose and tip

You are a good case for primary rhinoplasty which would include narrowing the width of the dorsum and tip.  Consult many doctors in the area to address your concerns.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon