Restylane silk swelling? (Photo)

Hi! I got restylane silk lip augmentation yesterday and the remainder injected at the nasolabial fold. Overnight, my friend and I awoke to extremely swollen lips. I've been icing and using ibuprofen. Our doctor has recommended a course of steroids but I feel that's premature given how recently we had the procedure. It hasn't been 24 hours yet. Do you think I need steroids? I'd rather not.

Restylane Silk for lips

It is usual to have swelling for several days after lip injections with Restylane Silk.  You do not require steroids.

Toronto Dermatologist

Lip filler swelling

This is not extreme enough for me to order steroids. It will usually last 2 days. Sleeping on more than one pillow helps prevent this. Ice won't help this and I think it might lead to more swelling. Perhaps antihistamines help, ibuprofen doesn't help 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler

Lip fillers will cause swelling and it may take several days for the swelling to subside. Best to give it some time to settle. I am not a big proponent of steroids for this specific reason.

Restylane SILK swelling

Swelling the next morning of this degree is quite usual. As you are up walking around and icing, the swelling will diminish significantly and then will continue to resolve over the course of about 48 more hours. The great thing about SILK is the soft natural feel and look once swelling is gone. 

No need for steroids. You could take some motrin as an anti inflammatory.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician