Let's resolve this once and for all, is a compression garment necessary? (5 weeks post-op)

Many surgeons on here seem to think consistent use of a compression garment is one of the most important thing a patient can do post-op. Others have said it's not necessary. My surgeon did not recommend one because I still have skin laxity after losing 150lbs. I previously had a tummy tuck and chest surgery and my biggest concern going in was assymetry around my flanks and chest. Definitely see improvement but assymetry persists. Is a compression garment necessary and should I be wearing one?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

For my patients, I recommend wearing specific compression for anywhere from 6-36 weeks depending on the extent of procedure performed.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Yes to compression

Hi jleeb, thanks for you question regarding post-operative compression. It is suggested for best results that the patient wear a compression garment (whether that is a vest, ace wrap, etc.) for 4-6 weeks post-operatively. Typically after 4 weeks patients are asked to wear the compression garment as much as possible but at least at night until 6 weeks. At the 6 week mark patients can usually transition to a more comfortable form of compression such as a compression shirt (many brands carry this type of shirt) when needed for extra comfort.  Hope this helps, best of luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend you wear a compression garment.

I recommend you wear a compression garment as it helps tightening your skin. After a year, if you still have a problem with a terrible excess sagging skin, you may consider a revised tummy tuck. Good Luck!

Male Tummy Tuck and Compression Garment

Thank you for your question about Male Tummy Tuck.

A compression garment after male tummy tuck will help control the swelling and get the swelling out quicker.  It may or may not effect the final results.  You will get differing opinions on that.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Compression garment

Compression garments help with reducing swelling and helping the skin retract post surgery. Each surgeon is different but it does show to benefit.