Is it possible to reduce the size of my nose and refine my tip on a revision rhinoplasty?

I was recently seen for a revision rhinoplasty by a very well known plastic surgeon from Beverly Hills. I found out this doctor does not do revisions but only primary rhinoplasties but what concerned me was the fact that he told me revision rhinoplasties can never be done with good results. This would be my second rhinoplasty.My first was 3 years ago along with septoplasty.

Revisions never done with good results? Horse hockey.

I hope you heard him wrong, because the statement is ridiculous. But it's true that revision rhinoplasty can be a fantastically difficult operation. See the "Web reference" link, just below my post, for advice on the steps to find a surgeon for a revision.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty to Reduce Size and Refine Tip

I cannot imagine why your nose cannot be improved with a revision rhinoplasty if it it large and the tip not well defined. However, I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website to evaluate your nose and make suggestions.

Revision rhinoplasty

Depending on what the problems are, revision rhinoplasty can be transforming.

In a small number of cases there are impediments to a good result. An expert in revisions should know what can be improved and what cannot be easily be improved.

Find the best surgeon you can.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty.

I would agree that revision rhinoplasty is harder than primary rhinoplasty due to working with scarred tissue which may not be as easy to shape as unscarred tissue.  Also certain parts of the nose which can be used as graft material may already have been used and hence not available.  However, I don't feel that a good result can never be achieved.  Much depends on your tissues, and what you are looking to achieve.  A frank discussion with your surgeon so realistic expectations are set can help you understand what can and can't be achieved.

Does revision rhinoplasty work?

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your first rhinoplasty. Revision rhinoplasty is a much more difficult prospect than primary rhinoplasty. More often than not, grafts will be required in these cases. 

The fact that revision cases are harder to perform does not mean that they cannot be done successfully. It can and DOES work - you just need to find the right surgeon.  It is critical to find one who is board certified AND has extensive experience in facial reconstruction and revision procedures. Ask a lot of questions and take your time.  The goal is to make sure that you get the nose you want, both in form and function.

Good luck!

Dr. E

Waleed Ezzat, MD FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplasty can achieve good results.  It is just a bit harder to perform.  There can be many more variable to deal with.

Revision rhinoplasty is certainly a procedure that can be performed for various reasons- whether the procedure involves breathing (inside) or a cosmetic reason- for those surgeons who do rhinoplasty frequently, revisional procedures may be performed safely and effect positive change ...

What should you expect with a revision rhinoplasty?

Revision rhinoplasty is certainly a tricky procedure, and fraught with risk. However, experienced specialists in rhinoplasty perform them all the time, and typically with good outcomes. It is important for you to think realistically about what kinds of changes will be acceptable to you. Most often, improvement can be achieved, but perfection cannot. Will this type of outcome be sufficient to justify the cost, risk, and healing time for you personally? You should consider this carefully, and have a frank discussion with your potential surgeon about this prior to committing to another operation. 

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

I've had many patients through the years who had Rhinoplasty else where needing a revision.  In most cases, a successful revision can be done.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD