Should I receive FUT or FUE to cover my hairline lowering scar from 2.5 years ago? (photo)

I received a hairline lowering 2.5 years ago, and generally I'm satisfied with the result. However, I'm unhappy the appearance of my scar. It gets red after exercise of if its hot, and under white/bright lighting, the scar can be apparent. I am now thinking about hair transplants to cover the scar. Will 200 grafts or so be enough, and should I consider FUE or FUT for that small of amount? I hesitate to do a scar revision, and I'm afraid of shock loss/permanent hair follicle damage through surgery.

FUE or FUT

For a procedure like this both FUE or FUT could get you your results effectively. The difference between them in this case is mostly a matter of personal preference in terms of healing, shaving the back of your head, and scarring.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE vs Strip

The two transplant methods widely used today are FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and STRIP (Follicular Unit Strip Surgery). These procedures differ in the way the donor hair is extracted.

STRIP requires the cutting of a large strip of scalp from the patient’s donor area. The incision is then stitched shut, and the grafts are harvested from this strip.

The drawback to this procedure is that the patient is left with a long, linear scar across the donor area, preventing them from being able to sport a short hairstyle in the future, as hair must be kept longer in order to cover the scar. Of greater concern, however, is that the FUSS procedure greatly decreases the useable donor hair, affecting the patient’s capacity for future procedures to restore their hair to its full potential.

The revolutionary FUE Hair Transplant procedure addresses these concerns, as individual follicles can be extracted directly from the donor area, eliminating any strip removal. This results in a significantly reduced healing time and NO linear scar. The patient has the freedom to trim and style their hair as they please. Furthermore, the lack of strip removal maximizes amount of donor hair that can be harvested.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Should I receive FUT or FUE to cover my hairline lowering scar from 2.5 years ago?

Greetings 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How to cover my hairline scar from prior hair transplant

Either FUT or FUE can be done to cover your old hairline advancement scar.  To cover the hairline you would need 200 to 300 grafts.  The donor site used to obtain the 300 grafts can easily be hidden with layer shaving.  It is ultimately your choice which procedure to use to obtain the grafts.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE plus Scalp Micro-pigmentation

FUE will allow you to have better results for the following reason:

With the FUT procedure they extract a strip of your scalp and they already calculated how many follicles they can obtain from it. The problem is that they will be limited in quantity to what the strip contains and you also have to consider that not all the follicles from that strip will be optimum to be transplanted due to the different quality of hair you find on it. Recovery time is longer and you will end with a visible scar.

When doing an FUE transplant, the Doctor selects each follicle. The hair is not obtained from just one strip but it can go anywhere in your donor area. This allows us to select the best follicles available to be transplanted. The recovery time is way less than with the FUT; and of course, we avoid leaving the big scar that you will get from the Strip Procedure (FUT). The average scar from a FUE procedure is hardly visible to the human eye.

If you combine your hair transplant with Scalp Micro-Pigmentation you can add extra coverage and cover the scar.

William Yates, MD
Chicago Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE is just a harvesting method. It does not relate to results. If you want a surgical recommendation you need an exam first.

FUE is just a harvesting method.  It does not relate to results.  Both harvesting methods should be fine but FUE requires shaving a part of your donor area.  If you want a surgical recommendation you need an exam first.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scar after a hair line lowering procedure

You want to have a hair transplant to treat a scar after a hair line lowering procedure. Either FUE of FUT will be fine

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scar after lowering

Putting grafts in front of the scar is a reasonable thing to do.Grafts can also grow within the scar itself but this is more unpredictable due to the altered blood flow,etc in scar tissue.Around 200-400 grafts would be sufficient to camouflage the scar.Whether it's done by FUE or FUT is really up to you.By FUT(linear strip) this number of grafts can be obtained in a piece only 1-2 inches long,leaving a tiny scar.By FUE the harvest sites can be distributed throughout the donor area without any evidence of loss.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon