How do I prevent developing fluid from a tummy tuck?

I had a DIEPS Flap surgery in Nov and had a significant seroma develop. I had surgery to address the seroma last week. I had two drains put in. One has been removed one week post op, the other is still in and I am wearing a binder. Is there anything I can do to prevent the development of the fluid?

Managing seroma

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. Seroma is a common complication that may develop after a tummy tuck. Most of the time, it can be treated by utilizing a binder or insertion of drains. In some cases, treatment with serial aspiration may be required. It is imperative that your surgeon is aware of your concerns. An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Greetings
Thank you for your question, there is nothing you can do to prevent a seroma it is common in most patients that do Tummy tuck. The best is to follow the instructions that your surgeon that instructed for you. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hi. No there is nothing you can do to prevent a seroma formation. Is a common complication in almost every Tummy Tuck procedure.Be patient and follow your PS instructions, the removal of capsule also products fluid formation. Sorry.Best regards.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

DIEPS flap - prevent recurrent seroma

Thank you for asking about your DIEPS flap.
  • I am sorry about your seroma.
  • Usually removing the seroma capsule (I assume this is the surgery that was done recently) and keeping in the second drain until fluid stops developing, wearing the binder and not trying to exercise is the way to prevent a recurrent seroma.
  • As your surgeon if s/he has any additional ideas as s/he knows the details of your care.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS