How do I know if the person I'm seeing is skilled in using Vitrase?

As much as I don't like my Voluma result, I am wary of having it dissolved. The person who did it is a well-respected doctor but it just didn't go well. I'm worried about trusting my face to someone else. How do I know if the person injecting the hydroluronidase is experienced in correcting fillers? I haven't noticed anyone in my area advertising their specialized use of that ensyme. I know that I can find someone to do it, but I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Doctor Answers 8

Experience in Vitrase injections

I would start by finding the board certified plastic surgeons or cosmetic dermatologists in your area and then call and ask them how many Vitrase injections they do a year. Go with the one with the most experience.


Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Vitrase Injections and Skills

You should consult a cosmetic dermatologist who is skilled in facial injections and they should have a great deal of experience with Vitrase injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Skill in Dissolving Voluma

This is a great question!  The wonderful thing about the hylauronic acid fillers is that they can be dissolved.  Typically, with Voluma it requires several sessions of injections as opposed to Juvederm or Restylane.  Most practitioners don't advertise this skill but there are dermatologists and plastic surgeons who routinely have it on hand.  I agree that you should call around your area for a board certified specialist but understand it may take several sessions and be conservative in your expectations.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews


A few years ago when I needed rotator cuff surgery, I sought a number of opinions.  The first question I asked was "How many of these do you do a year?"  I chose the doctor both because I liked his personality and energy but he performs about 24 surgeries of the kind I needed per week.  The others that I talked to did around 100 per year.

Experience is your guide here.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

How do I know if the person I'm seeing is skilled in using Vitrase?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your filler results were not what you anticipated.  I agree with researching appropriate injectors, but the only way to know is to ask them directly.  Use of Vitrase and other hyaluronidases is uncommon and expensive, so it may be wise to ask your Voluma injector as they will likely cover the cost of the product and treatment. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Call around

To find a physician skilled with using Vitrasse, you will have to call around to different offices.  It is not normally advertised.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

How do I know if the person I'm seeing is skilled in using Vitrase?

Hello Lucy1018,

I would agree that the best way to find out if someone is skilled in Vitrase is by asking.  Because fillers tend to have such a great result, it is not commonly advertised how good a physician is at getting rid of it.  The good thing is that the enzyme works very well at only removing the HA based products like Voluma.  The only issue is if they don't have enough experience that it might need another injection to get rid of the remainder of the Voluma if not enough is used.  

Since the enzyme isn't cheap, I'd recommend you follow up with your original injector as he or she isn't likely to charge your for it.  If you went somewhere else and weren't also purchasing another product or treatment, you'd likely have to pay for the enzyme.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

How to know if person is skilled in using Vitrase?

The only way to know if a physician is skilled in using Vitrase would be to ask them.  In general, I would think that any doctor that injects hyaluronic acid fillers should be experienced with injecting Vitrase as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.