Lower part of ears overcorrected ? (photos)

I'm 3 weeks post oto, a week since the bandage came off. The lower part of my ear is very close to my head now. I asked for a vertical outline. From what I've read it should if anything the top should be closer right after surgery. Concha sutures were used and my next surgeon appointment is only in a month. Is there any chance the bottom will relax more than the top? Would it help if I put some hard wax behind the bottom part to push it out? Do I need to get revision before it heals? Thanks

Overcorrected ears in the lower third

Your over corrected ear may come out over time. However research shows that the upper third is more likely to be the portion of the ear that drifts outward. You can read my otoplasty revision chapter in "Advanced cosmetic otoplasty" by Springer.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Overcorrection of ears after otoplasty

I would recommend contacting your surgeon to discuss your concerns. You are correct that the upper part of the ear should generally be closer to the head as opposed to the lower portion. However, it is not uncommon to slightly overcorrect at the time of surgery, as the final positioning will often relax with time. I would recommend against trying to manipulate or "push out" a portion of the ear on your own, without having your surgeon fully evaluate the progress of your healing. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon