Can I get a nose job under local anesthesia?

I have a broken tilted nose and I wanted to have a rhinoplasty for a long timenis but what's keeping me from doing it is that I have Cystic Fibrosis and it's not a very good idea to consider general anesthesia in my case. I've been considering local anethesia for a while now and i'm very comfortable with being awake and sedated. Thank you

You may get local anesthesia, however, it all depends on what is being done.  The standard for rhinoplasty is general anesthesia because the anesthesiologist and the surgeon have more control while patient's are general anesthesia.

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Send your photos to give you the advices of what type of procedure you need. Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty under local anesthesia

Trying to perform a rhinoplasty under local anesthesia is a very bad idea. There are lots of nerve endings in the nose and it cannot be tolerated by patients. In addition, it's important to have a controlled airway so the blood does not get aspirated into the lungs from the rhinoplasty. It's also important to get pulmonary function tests and clearance by your pulmonologist to make sure your candidate for general anesthesia. In our practice we perform all rhinoplasty procedures under general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort.

Rhinoplasty under local anesthesia

Rhinoplasty can be done under local anesthesia with mild oral sedation to reduce the anxiety of the procedure. However cystic fibrosis should not stop you from general anesthesia. A good anesthesiologist can certainly make sure that you have no lung issues from the general anesthesia and does not effect your recovery. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty under Local Anesthesia

Avoiding general anesthesia is certainly possible for rhinoplasty surgery. We prefer sedation though over pure local anesthesia in order to provide our patients with the necessary comfort. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Agreed- in general it will depend on the type of procedure and what is involved.  In addition, the opportunities for a procedure to be performed under intravenous sedation/conscious sedation which is not full general anesthesia also allow one to potentially recover with less nausea in certain cases- however most of the time general anesthesia is used for rhinoplasty patients.  In the case of a medical condition, it will be important to see an anesthesiologist to optimize your medical condition before surgery.. best of luck

Hello and thank you for your question.  It depends on your anatomy.  If you require osteotomies, then general anesthesia is required.  Without osteotomies, you could consider sedation with local anesthesia with a board-certified anesthesiologist present in the operating room in addition to your board-certified plastic surgeon.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD