Mini facelift with fat graft, 10 days ago, looks like I have a double chin, why?

i had my mini done about 10 days ago by a PS i've been to before. I notice tightness in my jaw area as expected but when I bend my head down I have a double chin and a distinct crease from my jaw/neck to ear, is that swelling?? It wasn't there I don't think right away. Could I have done something. Sneezing post op? Positioning ?

Mini facelift 10 days out-double chin?

It is difficult to evaluate without a photo but I would encourage you to speak with your surgeon.  It may be just swelling but your surgeon knows what was done and can better evaluate. All the best. 

Be Patient

Hi there,
Although you may be eager to see the final results of your mini facelift, you are way too early in the recovery phase to be worried about any abnormalities. Healing takes time so please be patient and follow your plastic surgeons specific post op care instructions to give yourself the ideal situation for optimal results. Final result is not fully realized for approximately 3 months and full recovery can take anywhere from 6 months to up to a year. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin after a Mini Facelift

It would be highly unlikely that a mini facelift would cause the appearance of a double chin.  You are correct that you might be seeing swelling or it was a certain position that caused the appearance of a double chin.  Sneezing would not cause this issue.  I would remain calm and see your PS for an evaluation.

Double chin

Without a photograph, it's going be hard to tell what's going on. Most likely at swelling. Have your plastic surgeon who knows what they did evaluate you. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

After minilift and fat grafting

Not sure how to judge without photos but if you don't have a double chin when you don't bend your neck down, you probably are ok.  Swelling will take a few weeks to subside and can make the surrounding tissues a little stiff so it is much too early to judge any kind of result.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question, but without photos, we can't tell.  Chances are it's probably swelling, but you should see your PS to make sure.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Swelling After Mini-Facelift

Hard to say without photos, but it is still early in your postoperative course, and it sounds like swelling. Check in with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Swelling goes downhill

After a lift or facial procedures, the swelling and bruising migrates downhill.
This is likely why your neck is swollen.