Is a mammogram required prior to breast augmentation?

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately where the women have said they had to get a mammogram prior to surgery and I am wondering if this is required of all women or if it only pertains to women of a certain age? I have been researching this for years and it seems this never came up before. I am 30 years old and so a mammogram would not be covered by my insurance. Thank you in advance!

Recommendations for mammography prior to surgery will vary from one practice to another.

I would suggest you follow the radiologists' recommendation in regard to mammography. Assuming you are  40 years of age or older mammogram prior to surgery will be helpful. If you are younger than 40,  then it may or may not be indicated depending on your specic situation (personal/family history of breast cancer and/or  specific concerns on physical examination).  If in doubt, your primary care and/or Gyn physician's  recommendations will be helpful.  I hope this helps.

Mammogram pre-op

I ask for women over the age of 40 to have an up-to-date mammogram and those with a strong family history of breast cancer often start getting them at the age of 35.

Breast Augmentation and Mammograms

If you are 35 years or older you should have a mammogram done prior to breast augmentation if you have not had one already. If younger and you have no family history of breast cancer, then a mammogram is not necessary.

Mammogram before breast augmentation

Mammograms are recommended in patients when they are in the appropriate age group to get them for breast cancer screening.  If a patient is young and does not have a family history, then it  is probably not necessary.

Mammogram prior to breast augmentation

Unless you have a strong family history, I see no indication for you to have a screening mammogram at your age. If you were in your 40's or had a very strong family history is where it is recommended. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Mammograms and breast augmentation

Generally speaking, mammograms are not obtained on all patients prior to breast augmentation surgery unless it is a part of their routine breast cancer surveillance. Sometimes if a patient has a strong family history of breast cancer or is approaching the age of 40, a preoperative mammogram will be obtained.  Any type of surgery on the breast can cause microcalcifications to show up on future mammograms.  This is more significant with surgeries that involve greater dissection into the breast tissue, such as a mastopexy or breast reduction. Thankfully, radiologists are very adept at discerning between surgical changes and changes that are suspicious for cancer.  One of the most useful tools for a breast radiologist is comparative studies.  When a mammogram is read, it is routinely compared to the prior study to look for changes.The dense breast tissue of most younger patients is sometimes difficult to image with a mammogram and it is generally not obtained.  This is something you should discuss with your surgeon prior to breast surgery.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram prior to surgery

A patient would only need a mammogram prior to breast augmentation if breast cancer screening is otherwise indicated - if her age, family history and/or breast examination offered a reason for screening. 

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Is Mammogram Required for Breast Augmentation?

Usual and customary guidelines in the absence of a strong family history of breast cancer should be followed. In your case without this history at age 30 a mammogram is not required in my practice for elective breast augmentation with implants